Safety Watch

et6609
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I visited Birmingham uni and I thought it looked really nice however my friend said that Birmingham is really unsafe and you can't walk anywhere alone. Is this true?
BenK64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's perfectly safe. I've never been in a situation where I've feared for my safety. To say you cant walk 'anywhere' alone is a massive overstatement. Like with any city there are obviously areas where you'd preferably avoid alone and late at night, but really the area around the uni is fine as is the city centre.
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by BenK64)
It's perfectly safe. I've never been in a situation where I've feared for my safety. To say you cant walk 'anywhere' alone is a massive overstatement. Like with any city there are obviously areas where you'd preferably avoid alone and late at night, but really the area around the uni is fine as is the city centre.
You don't live in Selly Oak then, because it's a dump. I've been jumped, my friends have been mugged, people have been stabbed 10 minutes from the university, a lot of houses get broken in to, bikes get stolen off the campus.

Birmingham is safe and you won't run in to any problems if you're smart, but you can't ignore the fact that it's definitely a rough area. It'll harden you as a person and probably make you more mature, but it's too much for some people. You shouldn't let that put you off, there's a lot of crime because there's a lot of people but per-capita crime rates wise it's not half as bad as some other universities.

I walk alone at night because I finish work at around 3am on weekends, but I don't do it with headphones in and I stick to well-lit areas.

The areas your friend is talking about exist, and they are ganglands with shootings, but they're miles from the University and you'll never find yourself there.
Last edited by esralled; 2 months ago
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Et

I'm a current student at the University and I don't think safety is something you have to worry about. In general the university and surrounding area is very safe, yes Selly Oak isn't perfect, but this is the same for the vast majority of student areas. Not being able to walk around alone is absolute nonsense!

Thousands of students attend the university and the 99% of them go through uni without any experiencing any problems!

Thanks

Harry (third year chemical engineering student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (296)
32.03%
The paper was reasonable (439)
47.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (111)
12.01%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
8.44%

Watched Threads