Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Should there be a referendum on whether Ulster should be granted independence from the UK?

If so, then should the referendum only be held in Ulster or should it be held on the mainland as well?

Note: This referendum will not have a choice for a united Ireland. This will only come about by the future decision of either the government or the people of an independent Ulster.
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No. There’s no appetite for Ulster independence.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Arran90)
Should there be a referendum on whether Ulster should be granted independence from the UK?

If so, then should the referendum only be held in Ulster or should it be held on the mainland as well?

Note: This referendum will not have a choice for a united Ireland. This will only come about by the future decision of either the government or the people of an independent Ulster.
Ulster isn't part of the UK.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

I’m in favour of a referendum for Northern Ireland to become independent and of course only people living in NI should be able to vote.

Now whether a newly independent NI wants to join the republic is up to them and the Republic once we are removed from the equation.
Last edited by paul514; 6 months ago
Arran90
Rep:
?
One other option is to create the 9 county Ulster.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
One other option is to create the 9 county Ulster.
It already exists.

And why do you think the people of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan would want to leave the rest of Ireland?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Certainly not.

Such treasonous thoughts should not be encouraged. We are one United Kingdom.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm all for a United Ireland.

Under British Rule.
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Certainly not.

Such treasonous thoughts should not be encouraged. We are one United Kingdom.
If it's the choice of the Union or Brexit, then which will you pick?

Demographic trends in the 6 counties do not favour the Union in the long term, and they do not favour Brexit in the short term.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If it's the choice of the Union or Brexit, then which will you pick?

Demographic trends in the 6 counties do not favour the Union in the long term, and they do not favour Brexit in the short term.
The Union although the two are not mutually exclusive.

Demographics are also not everything. Sinn Feinn get all of 27% of the vote so the risk of departure is seemingly minimal anytime soon.

With such a close Brexit vote demographics are a bigger danger but rely on static turnout so again, not a mountain i believe we are incapable of climbing.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Demographics are also not everything. Sinn Feinn get all of 27% of the vote so the risk of departure is seemingly minimal anytime soon.

With such a close Brexit vote demographics are a bigger danger but rely on static turnout so again, not a mountain i believe we are incapable of climbing.
28%... plus 12% for SDLP extends that to 40%.
Arran90
Rep:
?

I'm old enough to remember when Sinn Fein had no MPs. Now they have 7 MPs including one for Enoch Powell's old constituency of South Down. Belfast North is now within snatching distance.

The combined Sinn Fein and SDLP vote from the 2017 general election is 41.1%

In Northern Ireland 55.8% voted Remain in the EU Referendum.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Molseh)
I'm all for a United Ireland.

Under British Rule.
That would be the best option however it’s never going to happen
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ireland needs to rejoin the UK.
Arran90
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doones)
It already exists.

And why do you think the people of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan would want to leave the rest of Ireland?
That is a good question. An independent Ulster is a concept that has been given far less thought than the Union or united Ireland. It would always be possible to hold a referendum in the three counties of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan whether they would like to remain in Ireland or transfer to an independent Ulster. I make a guess that (at the moment) there will be a reasonable amount of interest in Donegal but far less enthusiasm in Monaghan and Cavan, although the situation might change in the future.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That is a good question. An independent Ulster is a concept that has been given far less thought than the Union or united Ireland. It would always be possible to hold a referendum in the three counties of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan whether they would like to remain in Ireland or transfer to an independent Ulster. I make a guess that (at the moment) there will be a reasonable amount of interest in Donegal but far less enthusiasm in Monaghan and Cavan, although the situation might change in the future.
Again, why would people in those countries *want* to leave Ireland? And I guarantee your guess about the numbers is very wrong. For one, Donegal is a Gaeltacht area. And it is socially very "conservative" (small c): it was the only county in Ireland to vote against the poll to repeal Amendment 8. The idea of the people of Donegal wanting to join a independent Ulster is frankly laughable. Unless that Ulster was also socially conservative, and therefore unattractive to everyone else in Northern Ireland.
Last edited by Doones; 6 months ago
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Getting rid of NI would be a dream come true, they are nothing but a leach providing no benefits only draining the economy.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Again, why would people in those countries *want* to leave Ireland? And I guarantee your guess about the numbers is very wrong For one, Donegal is a Gaeltacht area.
An independent Ulster could end up as a Gaeltacht area - with or without Donegal - apart from the Antrim and north Down coast. Go to Strabane or Newry and it's hard to believe that you are still in the UK.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
An independent Ulster could end up as a Gaeltacht area - with or without Donegal - apart from the Antrim and north Down coast. Go to Strabane or Newry and it's hard to believe that you are still in the UK.
See my edit above.

And what happens to the non Irish speakers in 95% of Northern Ireland?

More importantly the Irish speakers want to be part of Ireland, not Ulster.

It's a non starter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arran90
Rep:
?
More importantly the Irish speakers want to be part of Ireland, not Ulster.
The referendum is a choice between an independent Ulster or a province of the UK.

In the event of Ulster voting for independence, the nation will be free to determine its own destiny. It may choose to remain in the EU, unite with Ireland, or both.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads