The Student Room Group

What is Cardiovascular health definition?

Hey, I need you guys to help. I don't know what is Cardiovascular health, that's from my homework I need a definition and how can I find it?
Cardiovascular health refers to the health of the heart and its main blood vessels, such as the aorta.

Hope this helps :smile:
As Jess correctly says, the cardiovascular system (CVS) consists of the heart and the blood vessels. The health of this system refers to low likelihood of developing IHD (Ischaemic Heart Disease [ischaemia: is = NOT; haem = blood, so reduced blood supply, whereby O2 delivery to cardiac muscle [myocardium] is reduced = hypoxia [among other substances]]).

So, the prevention of CVS disease involves minimizing the narrowing of arteries by lipid (mainly cholesterol) deposits, called atherosclerosis. This process (narrowing = stenosis) is promoted by several factors:-
A. REVERSIBLE ONES:
...1. Hypertension (high blood pressure)
...2. Smoking
...3. Stress
...4. High levels of LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol [so-called bad cholesterol).
...5. Diabetes mellitus
...6. Hyperuricaemia (high uric acid in blood, which may cause gout)
...7. Lack of exercise.
...8. Obesity

IRREVERSIBLE ONES:
...1. Age
...2. Being male
...3. A positive family history.

There is a measure of the 10 year risk of developing CVS disease including angina pectoris (central chest pain precipitated by exercise or emotion due to reduced blood supply to the heart, resulting in lactic acid production), heart attack (MI = myocardial infarction, due to complete blockage of an artery supplying the heart = coronary artery) or stroke (= CVA [cerebrovascular accident) that is used by clinicians. This parameter, which takes into account some of the causative factors above, is called Q Risk factor. There is a school of thought that recommends statins e.g. simvastatin, atorvastatin (drugs that lower cholesterol) if this factor is high {I do not fully agree with it, unless the cholesterol is actually high}.

If CVS disease is present, appropriate treatment will be required.

Please google the words in bold for a wealth of info.

M (former medical student)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending