The Student Room Group

Raf oasc

Hello,
If you have just comeback from OASC do you mind sharing the group discussion topics and hanger exercise tips?
Thanks.
I did it back in November. One of the topics was “is techonology changing our lives for the better?” I can’t remember the others but they are designed that you don’t really need any specific knowledge on the topic.

Tips for the hangar exercises are, be clear with your instructions, don’t get hands on with the task, be ready to adapt your plan if neccessary, and project your voice.
Reply 2
Thanks very much for the reply. What about the leaderless exercise, how did you contribute? can i please see the group and individual planning exercise paper ? how many people made it through to the interview stage ?
Original post by NotAVegan
I did it back in November. One of the topics was “is techonology changing our lives for the better?” I can’t remember the others but they are designed that you don’t really need any specific knowledge on the topic.

Tips for the hangar exercises are, be clear with your instructions, don’t get hands on with the task, be ready to adapt your plan if neccessary, and project your voice.
The leaderless exercise is all about teamwork, and who emerges as a natural leader I guess, keep the team motivated and keep making forward progress!

I didn’t get to keep the question papers but there are a few examples dotted about online.

Out of the group of 18, 6 were chopped after day one.
Reply 4
6! That's scary. Did anyone of them told you why they were unsuccessful?
The leaderless exercise is all about teamwork, and who emerges as a natural leader I guess, keep the team motivated and keep making forward progress!

I didn’t get to keep the question papers but there are a few examples dotted about online.

Out of the group of 18, 6 were chopped after day one.
I didn’t see them after their debrief. Two were chopped from my syndicate and I felt they lacked confidence in leading the tasks, and were probably a bit quiet. As far as their performance on the individual elements, I have no idea.

Do you have a date for OASC?
Reply 6
I'm waiting for my OASC date, passed medical last week. What did you applied for ? And how many people in a syndicate?
I didn’t see them after their debrief. Two were chopped from my syndicate and I felt they lacked confidence in leading the tasks, and were probably a bit quiet. As far as their performance on the individual elements, I have no idea.

Do you have a date for OASC?
Reply 7
I just finished OASC this week.
Topics for group discussion were:
-Should local or national government be responsible for flood defences when flood plains are developed upon?
- Should government censorship of the internet be accepted?
-Is a degree worth more than gaining skills in an industry?

In the leaderless exercise, make sure to contribute and be confident, but also listen to the ideas of others.
Out of my board of 14 people, just 3 were dropped after the first day.
Good luck to you on OASC, just be confident and try not to let the occasion overwhelm you as the first day of exercises can be extremely stressful.
James
Reply 8
Hi James thanks for sharing the information with. just some follow up questions if you dont mind. did those who got chopped off say why they were unsuccessful ? what was the group and individual planning exercise like and what did you applied for ?
Original post by JPD3103
I just finished OASC this week.
Topics for group discussion were:
-Should local or national government be responsible for flood defences when flood plains are developed upon?
- Should government censorship of the internet be accepted?
-Is a degree worth more than gaining skills in an industry?

In the leaderless exercise, make sure to contribute and be confident, but also listen to the ideas of others.
Out of my board of 14 people, just 3 were dropped after the first day.
Good luck to you on OASC, just be confident and try not to let the occasion overwhelm you as the first day of exercises can be extremely stressful.
James
Reply 9
Original post by Lippo1995
Hi James thanks for sharing the information with. just some follow up questions if you dont mind. did those who got chopped off say why they were unsuccessful ? what was the group and individual planning exercise like and what did you applied for ?

Hi,
Those who were chopped had an individual brief about why, and then were offered careers advice moving forward; ie to reapply, go for non-commissioned roles etc.
The group planning was one of the most difficult for me, there is a plethora of information to understand, and the 20 mins of planning before you discussed your ideas flew by. It’s about trying to make a plan whilst considering contingencies, as they will question why you’re doing certain things, and find flaws in your plan along the way- it’s completely normal!
The individual planning went much better for me, I felt the problem was slightly simpler, and I managed a good plan, whilst having a plan B, with ideas on how to improve it, which is something they really look for.
I am applying for Regiment Officer, just waiting now to hear in the next few weeks if I have been successful or not!
Hope this helps, James
Reply 10
Thanks a lot man. My mate is a regiment officer. I am going for engineering (aerosystems) officer, which means i must work hard because there are lots of engineering applicants and i think they only need half of the applicant or less. I hope you get a good news as you await.
Original post by JPD3103
Hi,
Those who were chopped had an individual brief about why, and then were offered careers advice moving forward; ie to reapply, go for non-commissioned roles etc.
The group planning was one of the most difficult for me, there is a plethora of information to understand, and the 20 mins of planning before you discussed your ideas flew by. It’s about trying to make a plan whilst considering contingencies, as they will question why you’re doing certain things, and find flaws in your plan along the way- it’s completely normal!
The individual planning went much better for me, I felt the problem was slightly simpler, and I managed a good plan, whilst having a plan B, with ideas on how to improve it, which is something they really look for.
I am applying for Regiment Officer, just waiting now to hear in the next few weeks if I have been successful or not!
Hope this helps, James
Reply 11
That’s great motivation (as if you need it!) to work as hard as possible as I’m sure that’s the best way to ensure success. Try not to worry about the numbers of applicants, just focus on yourself. Nail the interview, know your current affairs inside out as they will really probe your knowledge on this (they did in my case at any rate) and you will be fine I’m sure. Remember it’s an opportunity for you to show the Boarding Officers your drive and determination for this career.
Thanks a lot man. My mate is a regiment officer. I am going for engineering (aerosystems) officer, which means i must work hard because there are lots of engineering applicants and i think they only need half of the applicant or less. I hope you get a good news as you await.
Reply 12
Looking forward meeting you at IOT. one last question mate, how did you personally contribute in the hanger/leaderless exercise ?
Reply 13
Looking forward meeting you at IOT. one last question mate, how did you personally contribute in the hanger/leaderless exercise ?

In the leaderless exercise, I put ideas across and listened to others, but try not to take over too much. However, one thing is that they like to see the natural leaders emerge, by putting those ideas into motion and actually try ideas out.
In the hangar exercises, whilst following the lead of others you want to listen as much as possible, and make ideas known to the leader if you think it will work.
On your own lead, be confident and assured in your ideas. The likelihood is that you will have to adapt these ideas because it will become apparent that your initial idea won’t work 9 times out of 10! Make sure to be adaptable but decisive, remembering that you are the leader so it is reflecting on you.
Hello,
If you have just comeback from OASC do you mind sharing the group discussion topics and hanger exercise tips?
Thanks.

This place helped me a lot before oasc, but one of the things that helped me the most was talking to people whilst being there. So many people there for oasc brought up things that I would never have thought of or known no matter how much research id done! My oasc was a few months ago but the discussion topics were to do with sustainability/types of energy etc? I wasn’t sure on it I just remembered things from school or on the news. Another one was about getting married and how a lot of people don’t these days, and I believe one was about the death penalty. You literally don’t need any in depth info on these and these probably won’t be your topics because I believe they’re changed regularly, just get involved!! Even if you have to play devils advocate for the group it’s good to chip in, all (well most) people in your syndicate will be just as nervous and willing to help eachother out for the groups sake. Most people told me that the hangar would be the most enjoyable but I found it so nerve wracking and honestly quite difficult. There were three girls in my syndicate including myself and one thing I noticed that wasn’t appreciated during the assessment was that the girls were being, “too nice”. You don’t have to say sorry or ask politely, just get your team moving, and also don’t expect to finish the exercise, you’ll more than likely all get stuck on one plank of wood for 10 mins as we all did! It’s a good experience and good laugh though, just try to relax and enjoy it

Quick Reply

Latest