?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How can I get an 8 for German?
loginrunner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Learning all of the required vocab and banging out those past papers and practice questions worked well for me. Practice the topics you struggle on the most
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
also get the vocab list if there is one and your spec and make sure you know all of them... listening- do as many papers as possible, revise sentence formers and phrases to use in writing or if you have time, memorise answers to some common writing questions
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I used to teach German and was a private tutor for a while, maybe I can help. To be great at all aspects of German, you need to know the vocab. So first get hold of some past reading papers for your exam board. Then get a file and a good (Collins) large dictionary. Write down the words you don't know and memorise them. Also any useful phrases. These can then be recycled and used for your writing and speaking exams. Look at the words/phrases that apply to your own life and learn them especially. I note few state schools give students past papers to practice with, and this is a tragedy for their subsequent marks. When I used to do private coaching, we did nothing but past papers and they all got good marks. I also made up a little vocab/phrase test for the next lesson, so they had to revise. Most of them did quite well. My elder son did especially well at the papers, and ended up reading German at Oxford. I have just given someone else some advice on speaking. I will get hold of my post and copy it here. Ask me anything else if you need it.
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
also get the vocab list if there is one and your spec and make sure you know all of them... listening- do as many papers as possible, revise sentence formers and phrases to use in writing or if you have time, memorise answers to some common writing questions
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For the picture part of the oral exam...
Are you given the photo in advance? I know my son could take his own photo in. If so, you can look things up in advance and memorise it if you like.
Make sure you include all 3 tenses for extra marks. My son had a photo of his friends on a school trip to Italy. He said they were also there yesterday. They are enjoying themselves now, and will all maybe come back again someday. Imagine what the boys are thinking. Plenty of opinions helps. What are they drinking? Or eating? Is one carrying a rucksack? Has somebody bought a souvenir? What is the resort like? Is there lots to do? For example someone was riding past them on a bike - include that. You can fit this in with the vocab you know. The teacher will ask you some questions about it, so think of questions he/she may ask, then look up the answers in a dictionary, write them down and memorise the answers. Also ask your friends/family the questions they would ask about the photo, just in case you have missed something. They may ask you about the weather in the pic etc so you can bring out the set phrases you should know.

As for the speaking exam, you can use the set phrases you know to build up a profile of yourself and write these down and learn. For example, where do you live? Is it in the town or the countryside? What do you think of it? What is your house like? Your room? Your school? What are your favourite subjects? And the worst teachers? Hobbies etc. Think of plenty of opinions so you can embellish your replies. And there may be a situation, such as asking the way to somewhere. Revise the relevant sections of your text book and maybe write down some key phrases of situational vocab and revise. The speaking tests are quite easy as the questions will not be anything new and you can pre-empt the replies and revise for them. The reading and listening sections, however, may introduce new words you may not be familiar with. Do not panic if you come across these words, as you do not need to know everything. Hope this helps and do ask me if you need any more advice.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Hi, I used to teach German and was a private tutor for a while, maybe I can help. To be great at all aspects of German, you need to know the vocab. So first get hold of some past reading papers for your exam board. Then get a file and a good (Collins) large dictionary. Write down the words you don't know and memorise them. Also any useful phrases. These can then be recycled and used for your writing and speaking exams. Look at the words/phrases that apply to your own life and learn them especially. I note few state schools give students past papers to practice with, and this is a tragedy for their subsequent marks. When I used to do private coaching, we did nothing but past papers and they all got good marks. I also made up a little vocab/phrase test for the next lesson, so they had to revise. Most of them did quite well. My elder son did especially well at the papers, and ended up reading German at Oxford. I have just given someone else some advice on speaking. I will get hold of my post and copy it here. Ask me anything else if you need it.
xshristi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Means so much to me! Thank you for the help! Will use your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (9)
64.29%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
14.29%

Watched Threads