The Student Room Group

A level - Should I change to things that I’m better at but don’t suit my career?

I’m looking for some advice regarding my a levels and career/further education prospects. At the beginning of the year, I took on Maths, physics and computer science A level in addition to English Lit and Lang combined AS level. After the first term, I dropped maths (I hated it, even though I know it’s important for a career in game dev) and took on English at A level. I’m now over half way into my first year, and just really stuck on what to do. I love English, I want to get an A* and it’s possible for me I feel (I got an A in my mock I just took). However, it’s not as relevant for my career and my ultimate goal. I really should have maths and computer science to perfectly set myself up for university and jobs, however I am really failing in physics and computer science right now and maths was equally hard before I dropped it. I’m getting U’s in every exam, struggling in class hugely. I like the subjects, but I come out of every lesson feeling pretty bad as I can’t understand the work.

The university course I am looking at requires BBC but gives no subject requirement (I’m not looking at Russel group or anything) so theoretically English based subjects would be fine, but they aren’t subjects that really follow the career genre. I have the potential option to begin year one of sixth form against in September, in which I could take new essay based subjects that I’d definitely get higher grades in than my current ones.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’d greatly appreciate anyone who reads it and has any advice.

Also is the title visibly messed up for you guys too? >.>
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by LexiKristen
I’m looking for some advice regarding my a levels and career/further education prospects. At the beginning of the year, I took on Maths, physics and computer science A level in addition to English Lit and Lang combined AS level. After the first term, I dropped maths (I hated it, even though I know it’s important for a career in game dev) and took on English at A level. I’m now over half way into my first year, and just really stuck on what to do. I love English, I want to get an A* and it’s possible for me I feel (I got an A in my mock I just took). However, it’s not as relevant for my career and my ultimate goal. I really should have maths and computer science to perfectly set myself up for university and jobs, however I am really failing in physics and computer science right now and maths was equally hard before I dropped it. I’m getting U’s in every exam, struggling in class hugely. I like the subjects, but I come out of every lesson feeling pretty bad as I can’t understand the work.

The university course I am looking at requires BBC but gives no subject requirement (I’m not looking at Russel group or anything) so theoretically English based subjects would be fine, but they aren’t subjects that really follow the career genre. I have the potential option to begin year one of sixth form against in September, in which I could take new essay based subjects that I’d definitely get higher grades in than my current ones.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’d greatly appreciate anyone who reads it and has any advice.

Also is the title visibly messed up for you guys too? >.>

The title is visibly messed up and sorry to say it, but your career ideas seem a bit the same. It is quite clear that English is your main strength, and yet you have forced yourself to take subjects that you do not enjoy and are not good at. This is all in pursuit of a career in game development. I don't know much about this career but are there lots of job opportunities in it? It doesn't sound like there would be and even if there were, surely there will be massive competition from people whose strengths actually are in Maths, Physics and CS.

We all have strengths and weaknesses - we need to identify what these are before fixating on one particular career, not try to bend ourselves into shapes that will never fit. You have said that you have dropped Maths and are getting "U's in every exam" - apart from English which you excel at. In the words of Avril Lavigne, "Could it be anymore obvious?"

My honest opinion is that you should take the option of starting Year 12 again with a focus on humanities/social science subjects. Essays are what you are good at - you will be so much happier at school (and Uni) if you are playing to your strengths and not your weaknesses. Maybe you will need to reassess your career options but that's ok, you have lots of time to find something that suits you and that you will enjoy. I hope I haven't been too blunt with my opinion :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
The title is visibly messed up and sorry to say it, but your career ideas seem a bit the same. It is quite clear that English is your main strength, and yet you have forced yourself to take subjects that you do not enjoy and are not good at. This is all in pursuit of a career in game development. I don't know much about this career but are there lots of job opportunities in it? It doesn't sound like there would be and even if there were, surely there will be massive competition from people whose strengths actually are in Maths, Physics and CS.

We all have strengths and weaknesses - we need to identify what these are before fixating on one particular career, not try to bend ourselves into shapes that will never fit. You have said that you have dropped Maths and are getting "U's in every exam" - apart from English which you excel at. In the words of Avril Lavigne, "Could it be anymore obvious?"

My honest opinion is that you should take the option of starting Year 12 again with a focus on humanities/social science subjects. Essays are what you are good at - you will be so much happier at school (and Uni) if you are playing to your strengths and not your weaknesses. Maybe you will need to reassess your career options but that's ok, you have lots of time to find something that suits you and that you will enjoy. I hope I haven't been too blunt with my opinion :smile:

I'm looking into "starting year 12 again", as I am not enjoying A-levels at the moment and dread going in every morning. How do I go about this? Thanks.
NOTE: I'm in a somewhat similar ituation to OP in the sense that I'm half way through.
Just speak to your head of sixth form about it next week
Original post by harrysbar

Thank you for being so blunt about it honestly. It’s really good advice, it’s just difficult to stomach.

Quick Reply

Latest