maths567
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know that this has been asked before but I’d like an insight on the new 9-1 syllabus ( particularly OCR) if anyone is doing it. Would it be worth doing it if I will only have an hours lesson after school once a week and as I have never studied it, Would I be able to get a good grade ? I do love Latin, ive studied it since y7 and I will be doing it for Gcse so I’m wondering if that will help with Ancient Greek too. Thank you in advance.
rosiemckelvie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes so I am currently doing latin and Ancient Greek GCSE (9-1 OCR syllabus) and I LOVE them. Greek grammar is much more complex than Latin which you may enjoy as it is a new challenge? The structure of the subjects is identical and they really are very similar to learn at GCSE. Chances are if you’re good at latin you’ll be good at Greek to. I definitely think you should take it. I like Greek sources more (as at my school we do 50% language, 25% literature and 25% sources). However I prefer the Latin literature.Overall both are great and play on my strengths so if you emjoy latin and are good at it greek is a great GSCE to take too.
maths567
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thx for your help. Did you find it hard to learn the new alphabet and write the letters and did you find the question styles similar for Latin and Greek (e.g. is the 10 marker similar in both)?
(Original post by rosiemckelvie)
Yes so I am currently doing latin and Ancient Greek GCSE (9-1 OCR syllabus) and I LOVE them. Greek grammar is much more complex than Latin which you may enjoy as it is a new challenge? The structure of the subjects is identical and they really are very similar to learn at GCSE. Chances are if you’re good at latin you’ll be good at Greek to. I definitely think you should take it. I like Greek sources more (as at my school we do 50% language, 25% literature and 25% sources). However I prefer the Latin literature.Overall both are great and play on my strengths so if you emjoy latin and are good at it greek is a great GSCE to take too.
fm4n
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing Greek 9-1 OCR and this is my third and final year studying it, will be taking my exams in a couple of months. I managed to get a 9 in Latin after taking it last summer and I would have to admit that Greek is slightly more challenging. The structure of the courses are identical (in my school we do 50% language 50% literature) and the exam questions are basically the same as Latin.

As for the alphabet and characters, I think that's not a problem at all and you won't even notice that it is written in different letters after the first month. However, the grammar is a bit more complex (verbs specifically) as there are 3 voices (active, passive and middle) as well as more moods (indicative, subjunctive etc etc and the new one called optative). All in all, the language is slightly harder. But where it really gets more difficult is the set text. It is much harder to recognise cognates (similar looking words) and therefore learning translations is harder. However, 10 markers are basically identical and both the poetry and prose I'm studying are both quite interesting.

All in all, I definitely recommend trying it out if you're up for the challenge.
Classics_Teacher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd echo the above posts. Doing Latin will really help when it comes to Greek grammar and much of it will make sense if you already have a good grounding in Latin grammar, but there are differences (the optative mood and the middle voice two such differences already mentioned), but provided that you have a good teacher, there's no reason why it necessarily be seen as 'harder' than Latin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.75%
I'm not sure (36)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (246)
30.48%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (394)
48.82%

Watched Threads