The Student Room Group

Brexit- Take Two

If (theoretically) a second referendum was to take place, what do you think would win, Leave or Remain, and why?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dysf(x)al4
If (theoretically) a second referendum was to take place, what do you think would win, Leave or Remain, and why?

More people would vote which is a good thing. I think remain would win.
Not that I agree with that.

Country is divided, which is sad.
Referendum itself was a complete mess.

No obvious solution. You have to go with the result as is.

I would prefer a new referendum with compulsory voting and the options clearly made out including no deal etc. Just a big mess really. Glad when its over.
The amount of violence, aggression and arguing a second referendum will create would make this country a dangerous place to live
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Honestly...
Remain would likely win...
My reasoning: Brexit thus far has not proven it's self particularly successful nor feasible with many individuals being highly uncertain on the end goal the public opinion of the matter has shifted; a second referendum would induce a much louder approach from the Remain Campaign than previously, alongside any misconceptions now with hindsight would be resolved- the backing story is greater... the campaign would likely seek to tarnish the Conservatives failing approach with disregards to the real feasibility of a Brexit with a good negotiator... the recent Free vote initiated in Parliament over the matter showed instability in the party whereby May acknowledging a lack of ability to control and a potential large number of rebelling MP which she could not all whip and sack in consequence of their disagreement which the party policy it was a direct display of weakness in the current Government, meanwhile she immediately whipped them for the consequent votes as those were opposition suggested votes. Corbyn showed how spineless and power hungry he was by pulling the party backing for a second Referendum showing that he'd only use that card to secure a General Election and a marketing ploy to gain votes which was cheap and shameful for someone whose interests should lie in the people...

In conclusion... little trust in any major party, in Brexit and it's completely chaotic whatever happens.
Reply 4
Original post by dysf(x)al4

Depends on the campaign. Remain were woefully outmatched last time and show little sign of improvement now.
Reply 5
Original post by Nalk1573
The amount of violence, aggression and arguing a second referendum will create would make this country a dangerous place to live

Nothing new there, you should visit my neighbourhood.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
More people would vote which is a good thing. I think remain would win.
Not that I agree with that.

Country is divided, which is sad.
Referendum itself was a complete mess.

No obvious solution. You have to go with the result as is.

I would prefer a new referendum with compulsory voting and the options clearly made out including no deal etc. Just a big mess really. Glad when its over.

That's what we've been trying for yrs, in case you haven't noticed... sheesh!
Depends what you put on the ballot paper.
Original post by Andrew97

I think it would be better just to put 'Remain' on it, anything else will just cause more division.
Reply 9
Original post by Andrew97

I think we should have:

May's deal
No deal
Raw deal
Big deal
Soft deal
Norway deal
Canada deal
Imaginary deal
Remain
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
I think we should have:

May's deal
No deal
Raw deal
Big deal
Soft deal
Norway deal
Canada deal
Imaginary deal
Remain

you forgot drug deal
Original post by Vinny C
That's what we've been trying for yrs, in case you haven't noticed... sheesh!

What have we been trying to do exactly?
Referendum was silent on the type of brexit except we were to leave.
Its just a mix of no majority, and an alliance of Labour + ERG thats prevented it and they want opposite things. I understand very well whats gone on so your post was ill informed unless youd like to provide more detail.
Original post by StriderHort
I think it would be better just to put 'Remain' on it, anything else will just cause more division.

Not really because the division in the country would be even more damaging.
We could ofc leave have a general election that promised a referendum and then have the one we should have had in the first place. Its mystifying how they have managed such a big mess. Not all Mays fault by any means.
Original post by Vinny C
I think we should have:

May's deal
No deal
Raw deal
Big deal
Soft deal
Norway deal
Canada deal
Imaginary deal
Remain

Which one has the unicorn.
Reply 14
Original post by Vinny C
I think we should have:

May's deal

Erskine or Theresa?
Original post by 999tigger
Not really because the division in the country would be even more damaging.
We could ofc leave have a general election that promised a referendum and then have the one we should have had in the first place. Its mystifying how they have managed such a big mess. Not all Mays fault by any means.

I wasn't being entirely serious :P

At this point i'm all for just slapping leavers in they ear till they shut up before deporting them new colonies. But I'm not very reasonable.
if you just did a straight leave-remain again, remain would easily win.
Reply 17
Isn't a second referendum more likely to be still Leave but with different conditions set in place that you choose from i.e what type of deal we want?
Original post by Allie4
Isn't a second referendum more likely to be still Leave but with different conditions set in place that you choose from i.e what type of deal we want?

See that's the ideal referendum, but Brexiters won't allow it on the basis it would split the Brexit vote.

What should've happened with the original is a Remain vs Leave referendum, followed by a second referendum on the course of action. In 2016's case, a referendum on what the 'Leave' actually meant. Of course, it's quite difficult to do that when we had no idea what the different Brexit outcomes would look like or entail at the time.
Reply 19
Original post by MrDystopia
See that's the ideal referendum, but Brexiters won't allow it on the basis it would split the Brexit vote.

What should've happened with the original is a Remain vs Leave referendum, followed by a second referendum on the course of action. In 2016's case, a referendum on what the 'Leave' actually meant. Of course, it's quite difficult to do that when we had no idea what the different Brexit outcomes would look like or entail at the time.

yeah the original one wasn't thought out properly thats why the whole thing has been a disaster from then onwards. which makes me feel sorry for theresa may, cameron makes the mess and typically walks away leaving the woman to take the abuse from trying to sort it out :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending