The Student Room Group

working in a Charity Shop ..

Since january i have been working for two days a week in the back room of a charity shop ..what an eye opener , i can not believe the amount of rubbish we get ..70% rubbish that we have to throw away.its a Dustbin not a charity shop..just working there to get rid of peoples waste..the back room ..
Was the same at the charity shop I used to work at. You wouldn't believe the sort of things people 'donate'.
when i volunteered in a charity shop, we had a room for clothes to be sent as rags, i m quite selective about what i donate as a result.
Original post by lightlyblue
Since january i have been working for two days a week in the back room of a charity shop ..what an eye opener , i can not believe the amount of rubbish we get ..70% rubbish that we have to throw away.its a Dustbin not a charity shop..just working there to get rid of peoples waste..the back room ..

Yes it is sad that some people misuse charity donations and use it as a way to get rid of waste. My colleague at a charity shop I volunteered when I was younger said one bag they received had a dirty nappy in! :eek:
Mine never had that much of a problem with people donating junk as it was solely a bookstore so only accepted books, magazines, CDs, DVDs etc. I can imagine it can get bad at stores selling a larger variety of items. People are just too lazy to take their stuff down to the tip, it's so selfish.
Reply 5
Original post by lightlyblue

Oh hell yeah. Wait 'til you start getting leftovers from car boot sales. Working in a charity shop is controlled chaos.
Original post by Maid Marian
Was the same at the charity shop I used to work at. You wouldn't believe the sort of things people 'donate'.

Yeah it's a nightmare. We had everything from old sex toys to guns to duvets covered in blood and ****.
My ex's mum used to work in a charity shop in a very classy area, and found the opposite. She found lots of designer clothes worth hundreds which the staff were allowed to buy for a few pounds if they wanted, so I did very well out of that - and there were lots of footballers and the like in that area, so I bet I got some famous people's clothes at some point!
Original post by Tootles
Yeah it's a nightmare. We had everything from old sex toys to guns to duvets covered in blood and ****.

Like in American Psycho? It might have been cranberry juice.
Reply 8
Original post by 250319
Like in American Psycho? It might have been cranberry juice.

I've seen enough of both to know the difference.
Original post by Tootles
I've seen enough of both to know the difference.

Sure you have...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending