Eating disorder/body dismorphia help/advice

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know how sad this sounds but ever since I was 14 I’ve been attempting to loose weight. I’ve always been on the heavier side ( I’m 18 now ). I’ve tried cutting food groups out, restricting, then fallen into a pit of bingeing and bulimia. I then asked my parents why was it that some people are so slim yet still able to eat what they want. They replied “ it’s because you have a slow metabolism, it’s the way you’re built. You can’t change that”. After hearing that I just feel so empty. Wanting to be beautiful and attractive is a HUGE part of my life and knowing that I’m stuck in this hideous body makes me feel like there’s no point trying in life. I don’t talk to anyone anymore, I don’t buy clothes, I can’t get outside, I live in my pj’s and sometimes I don’t bother showering or taking basic care of myself. I can’t talk to anyone about this because I’m so embarrassed and not many seem to understand. Please help
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I get this, I have struggled with similar issues since I was 14 (25 now).
My best advice, if your trying to maintain a healthy body weight or lose weight to become healthier (not thinner, healthier) then you need to put the work in to eat healthier foods and exercise for at least 30mins a day.
It’s better to be healthy than thin.
Don’t starve or restrict yourself hun, that just leads to discontent.
Try to reshape how you view it, instead of trying to ‘lose weight’, try to ‘be a better you, a healthier you.’ Then eating carrots instead of crisps feels like an achievement. I know it sound like a weirdo thing but it’s true.
Find exercises that keep you entertained. I chose sword fighting, because I wanted to be a warrior... and can live in make believe.
It doesn’t have to be hard or boring. It’s not about looking or becoming something else, it’s about having fun with what you have got and who you are.
Your more than your appearance, you gotta remember that.
I know that dark feeling, I feel it lurking on the shadows of my mind when I’m alone, screaming and taunting in its vicious way.
I have no cure for that, just kick the b*stard back when its voice gets too loud.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you sought help for these issues?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Have you sought help for these issues?
I once tried talking to an online counselor but I just end up regretting it and feeling ungrateful or selfish
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I once tried talking to an online counselor but I just end up regretting it and feeling ungrateful or selfish
I would say you should try and seek help from your GP. You're not selfish to seek help when struggling. It's important to get help. Take care OP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads