Please help with uni choices- kings, Soas, Sussex.

Watch
catcasp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, thanks a lot of answering if you do!
I just basically wanted to ask if any of you have been to these uni’s and how your experience was and what you think about it.
I have applied to study politics & international relations and have so far been accepted into the uni of Sussex and SOAS (school of oriental and African science). I have yet to hear back from King’s College london. I like the idea of SOAS because it’s small, I went to university of Cape Town previously and like 600 people in a lecture and 20,000 people in undergrad humanities alone was a lot, I don’t think the uni could handle so many people let alone give quality teaching. And I like the idea of a city uni rather than a campus. But I know SOAS is not well known and I’m concerned about employability. On the other hand Sussex is well known but I’m not sure it’s very good from what I’ve heard from friends who have gone there so I’m very iffy on that. Kings I know is good and reputable but not sure about the pretentious and snobby vibe when I visited and it has been dropping in rankings the last few years and I don’t like the course as much as Soas or Sussex- but then again employability is important at the end of the day. So all that being said, anyone from kings or Soas or sussex please tell me all about it- the good, bad and ugly. And what you think is the best option. Thanks again,
Cat
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing wrong with Sussex, one of nicest counties in the UK. Perhaps wait for Kings and then decide.
catcasp
Rep:
?
Thanks for responding!! Yes I love Sussex and Brighton to live, its beautiful. but not sure about the uni from what I’ve heard and the student feedback isn’t good. Between Sussex and SOAS what do you think is best?
(Original post by random_matt)
Nothing wrong with Sussex, one of nicest counties in the UK. Perhaps wait for Kings and then decide.
username4212512
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kings really doesn't have a snobby vibe! It's truly lovely, maybe you've encountered snobby individuals but the uni as a whole is becoming my #1 choice due to how nice the vibes are.
Sussex too is a really good area. Must admit I'm quite limited in my knowledge of the uni as a whole so won't comment.
SOAS, another one of my own choices, is amazing! I also initially worried about people not knowing it but at the end of the day, if you like the uni and the course, then dont dismiss it as an option! The people are so kind and, as you said, it's a small place.

Maybe wait till you hear back from everyone before you decide. But make sure you choose a uni you'll genuinely enjoy doing to. Uni life seems extremely difficult and you definitely dont want to end up in a place you hate.

Good luck with your applications! X
catcasp
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot, maybe it was just the day I went and my tour guide. I’ll definitely wait to hear back from Kings but still, it’s good to get info in advance anyways so thank you- maybe I’ll see you at soas or kings in a few months!
(Original post by hunfilm)
Kings really doesn't have a snobby vibe! It's truly lovely, maybe you've encountered snobby individuals but the uni as a whole is becoming my #1 choice due to how nice the vibes are.
Sussex too is a really good area. Must admit I'm quite limited in my knowledge of the uni as a whole so won't comment.
SOAS, another one of my own choices, is amazing! I also initially worried about people not knowing it but at the end of the day, if you like the uni and the course, then dont dismiss it as an option! The people are so kind and, as you said, it's a small place.

Maybe wait till you hear back from everyone before you decide. But make sure you choose a uni you'll genuinely enjoy doing to. Uni life seems extremely difficult and you definitely dont want to end up in a place you hate.

Good luck with your applications! X
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by catcasp)
Thanks for responding!! Yes I love Sussex and Brighton to live, its beautiful. but not sure about the uni from what I’ve heard and the student feedback isn’t good. Between Sussex and SOAS what do you think is best?
Sussex, I'm biased.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads