Please help me with this chemistry question?!

Watch this thread
Megangreyling
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Describe and explain what would happen in the following reaction. Write an appropriate equation.
Aqueous chlorine is shaken with aqueous potassium bromide in the presence of an organic solvent such as 1,1,1-trichloroethane. [5]
Onlinechemtutor
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

Chlorine is more reactive than bromine, so it will oxidise the bromide ions to form elemental bromine. At the same time, the chlorine will be reduced to form chloride ions.

Cl2 + 2Br- ====== Br2 + 2Cl-

A non-polar solvent is chosen so that it forms a separate layer. I would normally use cyclohexane which is less dense than water and will float on top. 1,1,1-trichloroethane is more dense than water so it will form the lower layer. The non-polar solvent will dissolve the elemental halogen, in this case bromine so it will take on an orange colour, indicating that the redox/displacement reaction has taken place.

If you mixed the chlorine with an iodide solution instead then iodine would be liberated. What colour would be formed in the organic layer in this case?

Hope this helps!
Megangreyling
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This was so helpful, thankyou so much! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (268)
42.41%
The paper was reasonable (260)
41.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (57)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise