The Student Room Group

Really need advice. Please help.

I know this guy called Lucas, I'm 27 and gay. I met Lucas because of where he works, he's a barman. We met two years ago. Now Lucas at the hotel isn't shall we say approachable. Tripadvisor reviews paint him to be abrupt, rude and unbothered by his job description. He never cracks a smile to anyone at the hotel, guest or customer.

However, somehow over the last couple of years we have struck up a friendship, but in my heart I want more. I'm quite a shy and nervous guy and Lucas is the complete opposite. We live two hours away from each other but truth be told he keeps giving me mixed messages and signals.

Last summer in my one week holiday, he was giving me quite intense eye contact, always joking around with me and there wouldn't be a day I wouldn't see him and he would ask me 'How my day was going', and 'How was my day so far? practically unusual for the guy I just described at the top of this post. The day I was leaving he looked in my eyes to be gutted, I sat at the bottom of the stairs near the bar and Lucas passed me by with a smile, then seemingly turned around and returned to the bar, then repeated the exact same motion again passing me by a second time and smiling and never went anywhere, as my family there are 5 of us left one by one Lucas never acknowledged them until I walked by the bar and I hear him say 'Do you want a drink before setting off'? I declined as I had to get a train home but it gave me an impression the drink meant more, but still left me confused, why ask me about a drink and not one of them?
I added him on Facebook in the summer but as I approached going to the hotel again i removed him to try and distance myself from him next time I saw him.

I was at the this hotel for 10 nights in Winter and I got through 8 days with not investing with Lucas, However, he made a point at the bar of telling my sister I had removed him from Facebook. She spoke to me and said it was harsh to do so, but had she known how I felt for so long she wouldn't have. I apologised on FB and Lucas messaged with 'How come you unfriended me', I gave an excuse and left it at that, we went back to good terms again. Lucas started in the last couple of days joking around with me again, one evening he asked me what films I was into and tv shows. The following evening I went to the bar and lucas practically ran over to me and took my drinks order, he started juggling glasses like he was trying to impress me, gaging my eye contact as he did. He also late evening came to my families room with a tea-tray, and when I took this from him, I turned around to see him up close to me as I returned to my room.

My sister then started going on his Facebook trying to get an idea if he was gay and came across numerous posts by Lucas's friends questioning his sexuality over the years. Not just one post but seemingly 13 or more over the years.

She saw he hadn't had an exclusive relationship with a girl since 2013. And came across his life events engaged to one girl in 2013 (different girl tagged), married in 2014 (different girl tagged) in a relationship 2015 (different girl tagged), there were many posts about the married one in 2014 where lucas's friends said 'get in mate', but Lucas admitted it was an exaggeration and they never went out, made my sister suspicious this was on his FB as a cover up.

Lucas in December worked 3pm to 11pm every night at the hotel, as a barman he had regular times, until the morning I was leaving. They had two other staff members serving breakfast in the morning and Lucas was behind the bar, this was strange to me because he was like a spare part, the bar doesn't open till 12pm normally and he was in. My sister thought he was there for me and got me to leave the room to approach him.

I sat at the bar talking with Lucas and he mentioned Christmas, family that sort of thing, a good 10 minute chat ended up with Lucas telling me he had never visited where I lived, full eye contact throughout the conversation until he looks away in the distance to his right and says and if I do ever visit I would probably take a 'future girlfriend' , he started on a new topic and I ended the conversation abruptly with I had to finishing packing.

This conversation baffled me somewhat because most people who meet me don't know I am gay and have said I don't come across into lads, I didn't do anything to make Lucas think I was interested in him, if anything he was giving me all these signs and indicators.I messaged him after I got home and said did he bring up a future girlfriend cause he is straight, and he replied with 'correct mate' and said he would see me next year. It doesn't explain his mixed signals, and constant attention with me at the hotel. I need real advice, could I have got this wrong or is Lucas just not admitting it?
I
Reply 1
Original post by starstudded
I know this guy called Lucas, I'm 27 and gay. I met Lucas because of where he works, he's a barman. We met two years ago. Now Lucas at the hotel isn't shall we say approachable. Tripadvisor reviews paint him to be abrupt, rude and unbothered by his job description. He never cracks a smile to anyone at the hotel, guest or customer.

However, somehow over the last couple of years we have struck up a friendship, but in my heart I want more. I'm quite a shy and nervous guy and Lucas is the complete opposite. We live two hours away from each other but truth be told he keeps giving me mixed messages and signals.

Last summer in my one week holiday, he was giving me quite intense eye contact, always joking around with me and there wouldn't be a day I wouldn't see him and he would ask me 'How my day was going', and 'How was my day so far? practically unusual for the guy I just described at the top of this post. The day I was leaving he looked in my eyes to be gutted, I sat at the bottom of the stairs near the bar and Lucas passed me by with a smile, then seemingly turned around and returned to the bar, then repeated the exact same motion again passing me by a second time and smiling and never went anywhere, as my family there are 5 of us left one by one Lucas never acknowledged them until I walked by the bar and I hear him say 'Do you want a drink before setting off'? I declined as I had to get a train home but it gave me an impression the drink meant more, but still left me confused, why ask me about a drink and not one of them?
I added him on Facebook in the summer but as I approached going to the hotel again i removed him to try and distance myself from him next time I saw him.

I was at the this hotel for 10 nights in Winter and I got through 8 days with not investing with Lucas, However, he made a point at the bar of telling my sister I had removed him from Facebook. She spoke to me and said it was harsh to do so, but had she known how I felt for so long she wouldn't have. I apologised on FB and Lucas messaged with 'How come you unfriended me', I gave an excuse and left it at that, we went back to good terms again. Lucas started in the last couple of days joking around with me again, one evening he asked me what films I was into and tv shows. The following evening I went to the bar and lucas practically ran over to me and took my drinks order, he started juggling glasses like he was trying to impress me, gaging my eye contact as he did. He also late evening came to my families room with a tea-tray, and when I took this from him, I turned around to see him up close to me as I returned to my room.

My sister then started going on his Facebook trying to get an idea if he was gay and came across numerous posts by Lucas's friends questioning his sexuality over the years. Not just one post but seemingly 13 or more over the years.

She saw he hadn't had an exclusive relationship with a girl since 2013. And came across his life events engaged to one girl in 2013 (different girl tagged), married in 2014 (different girl tagged) in a relationship 2015 (different girl tagged), there were many posts about the married one in 2014 where lucas's friends said 'get in mate', but Lucas admitted it was an exaggeration and they never went out, made my sister suspicious this was on his FB as a cover up.

Lucas in December worked 3pm to 11pm every night at the hotel, as a barman he had regular times, until the morning I was leaving. They had two other staff members serving breakfast in the morning and Lucas was behind the bar, this was strange to me because he was like a spare part, the bar doesn't open till 12pm normally and he was in. My sister thought he was there for me and got me to leave the room to approach him.

I sat at the bar talking with Lucas and he mentioned Christmas, family that sort of thing, a good 10 minute chat ended up with Lucas telling me he had never visited where I lived, full eye contact throughout the conversation until he looks away in the distance to his right and says and if I do ever visit I would probably take a 'future girlfriend' , he started on a new topic and I ended the conversation abruptly with I had to finishing packing.

This conversation baffled me somewhat because most people who meet me don't know I am gay and have said I don't come across into lads, I didn't do anything to make Lucas think I was interested in him, if anything he was giving me all these signs and indicators.I messaged him after I got home and said did he bring up a future girlfriend cause he is straight, and he replied with 'correct mate' and said he would see me next year. It doesn't explain his mixed signals, and constant attention with me at the hotel. I need real advice, could I have got this wrong or is Lucas just not admitting it?
I

Lucas is complicated,maybe he is bisexual? I think you should let him do the chasing. He is hard work and plays games. He needs dumping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending