mansnothot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I currently study biomed at uni. I only chose it as biology is a sector I am interested in. I find it fascinating or so I thought I did at uni. However now I feel like its not for me. Lectures are boring and I'm not enthusiastic to revise like I was for A levels. I'm still only in my first year but I don't know what to do. I was thinking of switching to economics and some unis have said they would take me on. Is this a wise move? Or I was thinking maybe in 2nd year of biomed to apply for internships and summer placements. I never had an idea of working as a scientist and the idea still does not suit me. What are my options?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mansnothot)
So I currently study biomed at uni. I only chose it as biology is a sector I am interested in. I find it fascinating or so I thought I did at uni. However now I feel like its not for me. Lectures are boring and I'm not enthusiastic to revise like I was for A levels. I'm still only in my first year but I don't know what to do. I was thinking of switching to economics and some unis have said they would take me on. Is this a wise move? Or I was thinking maybe in 2nd year of biomed to apply for internships and summer placements. I never had an idea of working as a scientist and the idea still does not suit me. What are my options?
If you decide to switch to economics, you'll have to start from year 1 again. You'll still get funding as you get a 'gift year' from student finance for reasons like this.

Why do you want to switch to economics? Have you discussed this with economics admissions tutors at university?
mansnothot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
If you decide to switch to economics, you'll have to start from year 1 again. You'll still get funding as you get a 'gift year' from student finance for reasons like this.

Why do you want to switch to economics? Have you discussed this with economics admissions tutors at university?
I just feel like I would be more interested in this as thats the sort of thing I would like to work with in my career and not science. I do understand though that not necessarily what you learn at uni you apply to work so its why I'm considering to stick with this same uni. And I was planning to switch to another uni as they said they would take me on. Thanks for the reply.
Waterfall7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Feeling this way isn't unusual and it's always good to continually assess your future career aspirations. Whatever degree you do though, there will always be parts that you won't enjoy or times where you'll lack motivation so it's important to know exactly why you want to go into economics so you don't end up in the same situation. That being said, there are lots of careers where your first degree doesn't have to be directly related to your post-university career i.e. you don't need to study law to become a lawyer, or economics to become an economist. For example, I did biomed as my first degree, and many of my classmates went on to finance and banking graduate schemes, consultancy, car engineering, and accountancy. They did science degrees but then in their 'spare' time, built up experience applicable to their desired careers through easter internships, summer placements, university workshops, being on the committee of relevant uni societies etc. So, I guess what I'm saying is (1) doing bio med at uni doesnt mean you have to be a scientist/work in the biology sector - the skills gained can be used in other careers (2) research alternative careers (maybe check out your unis careers service) and see if you actually need to change your degree. At my uni, some firms hosted careers talks/panels at the start of term or networking evenings so check your careers service for any upcoming events and placement advice. Maybe having an economics work experience placement organised for the summer will help motivate you through some of the less interesting aspects of biomed. Check out your uni's economics society also and/or speak to an economics tutor to get a feel for the subject before you change course, as someone has already suggested. Hope you figure out what to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads