The Student Room Group

Berlin offers world's first womens' ticket to counter pay gap

Is this helpful for women?

Ultimately I think it is a well-intentioned policy, but fruitless - just a one-off bonus of €160 at best - kind of trivializing the gap.

https://www.thelocal.de/20190318/berlin-offers-discounted-transport-tickets-to-women
A Berlin woman isn't paid 21% less than a Berlin man for the same work. We've been over this so many times. The pay gap is an average that takes absolutely no relevant factors into account, such as hours, job type, etc. Single women and younger women earn about the same as their male counterparts precisely because the differences in the relevant factors are smaller between them.

The pay gap (or rather the earnings gap) is largely (if not entirely) a product of life choices, not discrimination.

Stunts like this are unethical and misinformative. Charging women less for the same ticket should be illegal (just like paying a woman less than a man already is!)
Reply 2
Original post by Dandaman1
A Berlin woman isn't paid 21% less than a Berlin man for the same work. We've been over this so many times. The pay gap is an average that takes absolutely no relevant factors into account, such as hours, job type, etc. Single women and younger women earn about the same as their male counterparts precisely because the differences in the relevant factors are smaller between them.

The pay gap (or rather the earnings gap) is largely (if not entirely) a product of life choices, not discrimination.

Stunts like this are unethical and misinformative. Charging women less for the same ticket should be illegal (just like paying a woman less than a man already is!)

Shh. Don't let the truth get in the way of the narrative. Das ist verboden.
Can you identify as a woman for the purposes of buying a ticket?
Original post by jameswhughes

This. I’m a woman, but if this was a policy implemented in the UK to favour men, I’d buy the cheaper ticket and call myself a pre-op trans male if caught fare evading.
(edited 5 years ago)
It doesn't exist, as another user has pointed out, it's been debunked, of course one gender is going to get paid more than the other if you compile all male and female wages and sum them up without implenting any additional factors, what do you expect, for the sums of both individually to be the same?

So with that logic every gender will have to have the same amount of of jobs in each sector and field, and there must be the same amount of each gender :congrats:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jameswhughes

Pfff, identify as a child and ride for free.
So what about if I identify as a women for that split second I want a cheaper ticket?
Original post by angelinahx
This. I’m a woman, but if this was a policy implemented in the UK to favour men, I’d buy the cheaper ticket and call myself a pre-op trans male if caught fare evading.

I'm pretty sure that's called fraud...
Original post by AngeryPenguin

You sound like that guy who doesn’t smoke weed at parties because it’s a class B drug. I really don’t care about the law, seriously. In general. I just don’t care.
The law has no bearing on morality.
You sound like that guy who doesn’t smoke weed at parties because it’s a class B drug. I really don’t care about the law, seriously. In general. I just don’t care.
The law has no bearing on morality.

Much tough internet talk.

Fairly sure appropriating the plight of transgender people to shave off a few £s from your travel fee is also amoral.

But at the end of the day, it is the law that determines whether you sleep in your bed or a prison cell...
appropriating the plight of transgender people

I'm queer and I lol'd
I'm queer and I lol'd

You being "queer" does not give you the right to pretend to be transgender. Legally or morally.

And I’m pretty sure charging a different price for the same service because I happen to have a penis is also illegal.
You being "queer" does not give you the right to pretend to be transgender. Legally or morally.

Yes it does, clause 9 in the 14th paragraph of the 2nd amendment of the Gay Constitution allows me to do so in cases of economic discrimination
Transgenderism is a mental illness, it’s called gender dysphoria
Original post by Andrew97
And I’m pretty sure charging a different price for the same service because I happen to have a penis is also illegal.

If you think you have a case, you sue them. You don't defraud them in revenge. You can't justify committing crimes yourself just becaues you feel like the victim did too.

Indeed. It is a difficult issue. On the one hand, you do not want to make transgender people jump through lots of hoops in order to be accepted as who they are. On the other, you do not want amoral people pretending to be transgender only when it suits them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending