eveolearym
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m in year 12 and I started out the year doing maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry a level. I later then dropped chemistry because I wasn’t very good at it, nor was I very interested in the subject. I thought I’d do a maths-related EPQ because I want to do maths at uni and to me doing just maths, further maths, and physics a level is not that much. However, I’ve been struggling with an EPQ title, and was wondering if it was feasible for me to not do one? I’m aware I’m not doing many a levels, but I would do the wider reading that I would do for my EPQ anyway because the topics interest me.
Last edited by eveolearym; 1 year ago
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
EPQs can be subject relevant but do not need to be unless you are applying for super competitive universities. Also, people would much rather have you get good grades than sacrifice them by doing an EPQ.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eveolearym)
So I’m in year 12 and I started out the year doing maths, further maths, physics, and chemistry a level. I later then dropped chemistry because I wasn’t very good at it, nor was I very interested in the subject. I thought I’d do a maths-related EPQ because I want to d maths at uni at to me doing just maths, further maths, and physics a level is not that much. However, I’ve been struggling with an EPQ title, and was wondering if it was feasible for me to not do one? I’m aware I’m not doing many a levels, but I would do the wider reading that I would do for my EPQ anyway because the topics interest me.
It certainly is feasible. Have you spoken to your maths teacher re: coming up with a title?

Moved to Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
eveolearym
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
It certainly is feasible. Have you spoken to your maths teacher re: coming up with a title?

Moved to Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
Yeah, I was originally going to do something number theory related, but it’s just been difficult for me to find titles that I can then explore well that are related to number theory
Joe_01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone that is in year 13 and did an EPQ last year I don't believe it is worth it unless, like said before, you are applying to a very competitive university. I did mine on the subject that I am planning to take at university and received one offer with my EPQ included. I didn't think it was worth it for the amount of time I put into it.Of course it depends on personal preference and if you are able to manage your time well it could be a nice addition but that all depends on yourself.One thing to note is that you should have a passion for your EPQ subject as most colleges ask that you complete the research part of the EPQ over your summer break and if you do not have the motivation to complete this research in your spare time, you can fall behind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed