?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
To what extent do you agree with this?
Ryanthom100
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe if u put in enough effort anyone can get a degree. Even if it takes them 20 years.
LadyMcCartney4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ryanthom100)
I believe if u put in enough effort anyone can get a degree. Even if it takes them 20 years.
dont you think that if it takes you that long to get a degree, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place?
I don't think they give you that long.
I'm speaking as someone who has dropped out twice.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I don't agree. It's this kind of thinking that makes some people feel that they cannot succeed. The Open University proves that with determination and hard work, anyone can do it.
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Certainly not everyone can succeed at a genuine, academically rigorous degree at a reputable institution.

Universities have however created numerous for-profit bogus degrees like gender studies, design, media studies, etc. that absolutely anyone can get a degree nowadays.
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't agree. It's this kind of thinking that makes some people feel that they cannot succeed. The Open University proves that with determination and hard work, anyone can do it.
I was with the Open University. I think it's false advertising, equivalent to the American Dream. If everyone could succeed then everyone would be successful in life and no one would be living in poverty.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Tbh its vague and it depends what you mean by cut out. Ofc its a perfectly reasonable statement and hard to argue against, but am not sure it moves you forward.

There are plenty of reasons uni doesnt work for some.

Money.
MH
Social skills
Luck
Academic ability.
Poor choice.

Some of those reasons are not the fault of university, but problems the individual is unable to deal with.

You could say the same about any job or situation.
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Tbh its vague and it depends what you mean by cut out. Ofc its a perfectly reasonable statement and hard to argue against, but am not sure it moves you forward.

There are plenty of reasons uni doesnt work for some.

Money.
MH
Social skills
Luck
Academic ability.
Poor choice.

Some of those reasons are not the fault of university, but problems the individual is unable to deal with.

You could say the same about any job or situation.
fair point. I was thinking mainly of intelligence and academic ability I suppose. Of course people might have extenuating circumstances out of their control.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sherlockfan)
fair point. I was thinking mainly of intelligence and academic ability I suppose. Of course people might have extenuating circumstances out of their control.
If you apply yourself and learn good skills then you can make up for some lack of intelligence.
There are some people that get fixated on university, but they arent realistic though.
They would be better off getting a trade or a different profession.
JayJ2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think if you don't have a mental illness holding you back, you can put in hard work to get into university. I think everyone without a mental illness that affects their school life can get into a university if they put in hardwork.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Intellectually I agree, it's just a fact of life that people have different strengths and weaknesses and intelligence is no different. Obviously though there are other factors that can make uni hard like mental illness, lack of funding etc people who struggle with uni because of that aren't not cut out for it they just have unfortunate circumstances.
Ultimately though does it matter, if you want to do a degree , can meet the entry requirements and can commit to it then it's up to you whether you are cut out for it and can do it.
GraduateLynx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say it would depend on what degree you choose as some degrees may feel easier then others. But not always because I have seen students who continuously get the same crappy marks no matter what degree.
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
not really. most people have 3 or 4 years to complete their degree. I don't think it would be reasonable to suggest someone can complete a degree, if it takes them 20 years to do it. They would be studying at a very low intensity level and will probably have forgotten most of what they have studied by the time they graduate.
I don't really get your statement in bold, i think it's a bit of an overgeneralisation.
LadyMcCartney4
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayJ2001)
I think if you don't have a mental illness holding you back, you can put in hard work to get into university. I think everyone without a mental illness that affects their school life can get into a university if they put in hardwork.
can someone with a mental illness study at university?
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I submit that a more accurate statement would be that
Ryanthom100
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I forgot to consider that before voting tbh
Donutorchid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree as people have different expectations from life and in some domains experience is more important over education. Universities can enhance your knowledge and provide you a different perspective. People however should have equal chances in being admitted to the university but I see they can go to universities/should go to universities as two different things. We can't assume that everyone wants to think more abstractly or want to combine novel information with techniques. I think of vocational schools (as in Germany) more useful for some people rather than university.
Donutorchid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why not? It depends on the severity of mental health disorder. People can be anxious which is a mental disorder but can attend uni.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
100%. It's not for everyone.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
dont you think that if it takes you that long to get a degree, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place?
I don't think they give you that long.
I'm speaking as someone who has dropped out twice.
The OU give you 16 years. I'm doing mine over 5 years because I want to keep my job and keep earning whilst I do it. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (75)
64.1%
I don't have everything I need (42)
35.9%

Watched Threads