JustAPerson1122
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay so I'm in year 11 and I'm really good at maths (I average on a level 8), and I always have been and I've pretty much always known I was going to take a level maths. But recently I've looked at the spec and it's like 25% mechanics. I've looked at some a level pure maths and I think I will love that it's just I think I'm going to hate mechanics, as physics is by far my worst subject and I can't stand it, and from what I can tell they're really similar. My maths teacher and my family all expect me to take it and if I don't I'll feel like I'm letting them down, and I've already put it down as an option, but I'm really worried that I'll end up hating the 25% that is mechanics and won't be motivated.
What should I do?
yasmin224
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which exam board is it?
For Edexcel 1/6 of your final grade is mechanics, 1/6 statistics and 2/3 pure.
I got an 8 in maths in Year 11 and I took it for a level. It was the biggest shock to me and I found the jump really hard and I started getting E’s. I’m on the right track now but initially it was a very big jump. As long as you’re determined to work hard and really enjoy the subject I’d go for it. I hated physics at GCSE too but mechanics is now my favourite part! I find it’s not a lot of physics just forces and SUVAT. It’s quite an easy mark gainer as you get marks for very simple tasks in comparison to the pure paper.
meridia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't worry too much about the mechanics. I'm in year 13 now and I find mechanics very easy compared to when I was in year 11 - I was bad at physics too then (only got A in the GCSE). You might even find you end up loving mechanics; I'm finding that I wish I had taken Physics as an A Level now.

If you have the option, I would definitely also take further maths. It makes normal maths really easy.
Last edited by meridia; 1 year ago
justsomeguy17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would definitely take A-Level Maths, especially if you enjoy Maths in general. Mechanics isn't that bad and most of the content isn't really related to Physics in terms of how you solve the problems anyway. You may even enjoy it.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JustAPerson1122)
Okay so I'm in year 11 and I'm really good at maths (I average on a level 8), and I always have been and I've pretty much always known I was going to take a level maths. But recently I've looked at the spec and it's like 25% mechanics. I've looked at some a level pure maths and I think I will love that it's just I think I'm going to hate mechanics, as physics is by far my worst subject and I can't stand it, and from what I can tell they're really similar. My maths teacher and my family all expect me to take it and if I don't I'll feel like I'm letting them down, and I've already put it down as an option, but I'm really worried that I'll end up hating the 25% that is mechanics and won't be motivated.
What should I do?
It shouldn't be too bad although A-Level maths is defo a massive jump from GCSE maths from what I hear from people. Tagging in A-Level maths students to give their thoughts on this. Lemur14 Sinnoh _gcx
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's boring, you'll die of boredom. do further maths instead.

on a more serious note, what exactly is it you hate about mechanics? I find it the easiest. if you hate physics, then I think you'll definitely hate the mechanics, it's a lot more complex and harder than the mechanics in A-Level physics even. I think you'd hate it dearly. but not enough that you won't understand it, you'll be able to do the questions if you practice enough, you probably just won't enjoy it.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it helps I really hated physics at GCSE, was no way I was touching it at A level but although I don't particularly enjoy it, I don't find it difficult and it's only worth a sixth of the A level so I wouldn't not take maths because of it. People say maths helps physics but physics doesn't help maths and many people take it without physics so you don't need to like it to do well
Basically I wouldn't worry, even if you're not the most motivated to revise it etc. scoring well on the other units plus some basics in mechanics should be enough
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mechanics in A-level maths is quite different to mechanics in A-level physics - it's still got a heavy focus on pure problem-solving without you actually needing to learn much content. There will just be a few rules for you to remember. In fact, that's one of my gripes with the physics A-level, that there isn't enough problem-solving.
So if you like the problem-solving aspect, mechanics really won't be that bad.
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its not 25%, more like 16% and its only examined for 1 hour. i hate mechanics too but theres not much of it really
Smartin5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JustAPerson1122)
What should I do?
I was kinda in the same place as you this time last year, so trust me when I say you learn to love mechanics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads