Rationalising the denominator question help

Watch this thread
username4434126
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Need help with this question. So I am rationalising the denominator (removing any surds from the bottom). In this question as you can see in the picture, my answer is incorrect.

On my calculator it shows the answer as:

3 − √2

I am abit confused here, need help thanks
username4434126
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  20190319_171255.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  145.5 KB
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Sorry, I just edited out my latest comment because you can come to the same answer either way.
Last edited by Lala143; 3 years ago
username4434126
Rep:
(Original post by Lala143)
Sorry, I just edited out my latest comment because you can come to the same answer either way.
I didn't see your previous comment so no problem. So my answer was correct? And why does it show different on the calculator? How did the negative at the denominator just disappear? That is where I am confused really. Want to thoroughly understand this before I move on
Lala143
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes I got the same answer as you and I don't know why the calculator seems to be getting that answer, maybe it multiplied by -1 but I don't know why. Sorry, I took a while to get back to you I had to do a bit of my own homework.
username4434126
Rep:
(Original post by Lala143)
Yes I got the same answer as you and I don't know why the calculator seems to be getting that answer, maybe it multiplied by -1 but I don't know why. Sorry, I took a while to get back to you I had to do a bit of my own homework.
No problem. It not only says it on my calculator but also on my revision book under answers.

If anyone knows why its that answer and not mine do tell me, I really want to understand this.
username4434126
Rep:
I might have figured out why its that answer instead of mine. There are both minus signs on top and bottom so i assume they are being divided so the signs switch to positive as both have the same minus sign. Am I right?
Lala143
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't think so because you are not cancelling it any further but maybe I'm wrong.
(Original post by mannyman6)
I might have figured out why its that answer instead of mine. There are both minus signs on top and bottom so i assume they are being divided so the signs switch to positive as both have the same minus sign. Am I right?
username4356336
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Your answer is correct but it's bad practice to write it like that.
Factorise the numerator: -(3-sqrt(2)), just flip the signs inside.
Then negative/negative = positive, so cancel the negative signs.

3-sqrt(2)/(7)
username4434126
Rep:
(Original post by sdr981)
Your answer is correct but it's bad practice to write it like that.
Factorise the numerator: -(3-sqrt(2)), just flip the signs inside.
Then negative/negative = positive, so cancel the negative signs.

3-sqrt(2)/(7)
This was helpful, thank you!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
your answer is equivalent to the book answer.

you will not lose marks if you have a version with lots of minuses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed