The Student Room Group

Questions about choir

Hi
I have just started attending my local church choir* have been for about six months but the director** says I need to sing less operatically and sing with a more "white, floaty, churchy sound".**saying *my voice (as I normally sing) is too big and too mature for church choir . The problem is, I'm not really sure how. I can do it, but not consistently, because I'm much less convinced of my technique when singing in a non-operatic way I always sing the hymns that way (Or maybe it's just that I don't like how my voice sounds when singing in a non-operatic way so I assume I'm doing something wrong!) i have always liked singing operatically, i mean i don't sing in a full belting opera voice, i sing in quiet mezzo soprano voice that is my range. the thing is the other leader who was a woman said she liked me singing in a operatic tone and encouraged all the other women to follow my lead but this choir leader says I need to cut out the operatic voice , but I don't really understand why i should stop singing in that way *any advice?

Regards
Original post by Amy Barlow 89
Hi
I have just started attending my local church choir* have been for about six months but the director** says I need to sing less operatically and sing with a more "white, floaty, churchy sound".**saying *my voice (as I normally sing) is too big and too mature for church choir . The problem is, I'm not really sure how. I can do it, but not consistently, because I'm much less convinced of my technique when singing in a non-operatic way I always sing the hymns that way (Or maybe it's just that I don't like how my voice sounds when singing in a non-operatic way so I assume I'm doing something wrong!) i have always liked singing operatically, i mean i don't sing in a full belting opera voice, i sing in quiet mezzo soprano voice that is my range. the thing is the other leader who was a woman said she liked me singing in a operatic tone and encouraged all the other women to follow my lead but this choir leader says I need to cut out the operatic voice , but I don't really understand why i should stop singing in that way *any advice?

Regards

We can't judge whether you have an operatic voice or not. If your choir director doesn't like it, and you can't stop doing it, then maybe join a different choir.
Original post by Amy Barlow 89
Hi

Regards

My advice to you is simply to go away and stop wasting the time of TSR members with your ridiculous threads about operatic singing and young girls throwing tantrums in public places.

If anyone thinks I am being harsh, the OP is a serial troll who has been banned under several names before eg Lena Franks.
Original post by ageshallnot
My advice to you is simply to go away and stop wasting the time of TSR members with your ridiculous threads about operatic singing and young girls throwing tantrums in public places.

If anyone thinks I am being harsh, the OP is a serial troll who has been banned under several names before eg Lena Franks.

Yup, OP sent me multiple and almost identical DMs when I responded to one of her threads previously. Talk about going round in circles...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending