Is it bad if i'm muslim and don't want to want to join the I-Soc chat page

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just before I start yes I am a muslim and this post isn't meant to insult anyone I just wanted to get this off my chest.

So basically there's a small minority of muslim people at my school including me and they're actually users on this site (who i won't name for privacy issues) and they're part/involved in the I-soc chat page....... But i'm not , mainly because I don't feel like I fit in right because admittedy while I keep my morales in line i'm not that incredibly religious and devoted to islam as alot of others on the I-soc (who i'm sure are lovely guys and girls)

Now these other muslim students at my college tend to shame me and some points for not being more involved with it , and they say things to me like "you're not a real muslim if you don't join" and stuff liek that , while it doesn;t get to me it makes me question how religious I actually am , I mean i like to think i am cause i don't smoke or drink or do drugs or have sex or any of that. But is there anyway I can just shut these other people up

any advice appreciated , thanks
I AM GROOT 1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Joining such does not undermine your faith in anyway it is your choice so dont feel that you must
Anonymous #1
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
Joining such does not undermine your faith in anyway it is your choice so dont feel that you must
that's what i keep telling them that it has no affect on how strong my faith is or not , do you have any way that i can avoid them cause technically i woudn't call them friends but they always seem to follow me when i'm walking around or pull up chairs and sit next to me when i'm in the library working
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
that's what i keep telling them that it has no affect on how strong my faith is or not , do you have any way that i can avoid them cause technically i woudn't call them friends but they always seem to follow me when i'm walking around or pull up chairs and sit next to me when i'm in the library working
i would honestly ignore them they want you too feel this way really so dont let them! you are your own person and strong enough to see through them, shrug it off because wat matter is what you think at the end of the day
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just before I start yes I am a muslim and this post isn't meant to insult anyone I just wanted to get this off my chest.

So basically there's a small minority of muslim people at my school including me and they're actually users on this site (who i won't name for privacy issues) and they're part/involved in the I-soc chat page....... But i'm not , mainly because I don't feel like I fit in right because admittedy while I keep my morales in line i'm not that incredibly religious and devoted to islam as alot of others on the I-soc (who i'm sure are lovely guys and girls)

Now these other muslim students at my college tend to shame me and some points for not being more involved with it , and they say things to me like "you're not a real muslim if you don't join" and stuff liek that , while it doesn;t get to me it makes me question how religious I actually am , I mean i like to think i am cause i don't smoke or drink or do drugs or have sex or any of that. But is there anyway I can just shut these other people up

any advice appreciated , thanks
I mean i'm a hypocrite cause i'm the same as you. If I were more religious i'd use Abdurrahman.org. When you say you wanna shut people up I don't know if this advice applies but if I remember the prophet Muhammad did say you gotta guard your tongue. So i'd just ignore it. I'm sunni so i'm not sure if you wanna hear advice from me. You kinda forgot to specify what version you follow?

To answer the title I don't think it's wrong. Assuming your sunni.
Last edited by AspiringAccount; 2 years ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)
i would honestly ignore them they want you too feel this way really so dont let them! you are your own person and strong enough to see through them, shrug it off because wat matter is what you think at the end of the day
Will do that , hopefully they'll get the message sooner or later and leave me alone , thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AspiringAccount)
I mean i'm a hypocrite cause i'm the same as you. If I were more religious i'd use Abdurrahman.org. When you say you wanna shut people up I don't know if this advice applies but if I remember the prophet Muhammad did say you gotta guard your tongue. So i'd just ignore it. I'm sunni so i'm not sure if you wanna hear advice from me. You kinda forgot to specify what version you follow?

To answer the title I don't think it's wrong. Assuming your sunni.
Yeh you got it me and my family are all sunni's
and i don't mean shut them up as in i'm gonna do something confrontational , I meant shut them up so they leave me alone to do my work
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"you're not a real muslim if you don't join"
if they really say this its a very dangerous statement
if you dont want to join then u dont need to bro , it doesnt mean anything in all honesty
I AM GROOT 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Will do that , hopefully they'll get the message sooner or later and leave me alone , thank you
im sure they will get bored of it seriously if they are so concerned about their religion they should focus on it not others whom they perceive inadequate
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeh you got it me and my family are all sunni's
and i don't mean shut them up as in i'm gonna do something confrontational , I meant shut them up so they leave me alone to do my work
pretty sure you'd get rewarded by holding your tongue and ignoring them. If they are bothering you and it's affecting you then go to a teacher I guess, but lets be real here if you do that then their annoyances will just hit you twice as hard. A religious person would just make a dua to Allah to sort it out I guess.
Hfsassy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AspiringAccount)
Assuming your sunni.
Honestly though, does it matter if OP is sunni or shia or ahmadi? (if you're wahabbi then we've got a problem lol)
Not picking on you, personally, but your advice is good and I don't really see why if OP is Shia he/she shouldn't follow it.
Again, not trying to be rude, your advice is good.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

and they say things to me like "you're not a real muslim if you don't join"
People who say things like that should be deemed as dangerous. Small intolerances like that can breed into things which are much, much, darker.

You're doing yourself a favour by staying out of this chat.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by verycoolperson)
"you're not a real muslim if you don't join"
if they really say this its a very dangerous statement
if you dont want to join then u dont need to bro , it doesnt mean anything in all honesty
well that's good to know , thank you
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
People who say things like that should be deemed as dangerous. Small intolerances like that can breed into things which are much, much, darker.

You're doing yourself a favour by staying out of this chat.
I don't neccesarily want to think they're bad people but maybe you're right
AspiringAccount
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hfsassy)
Honestly though, does it matter if OP is sunni or shia or ahmadi? (if you're wahabbi then we've got a problem lol)
Not picking on you, personally, but your advice is good and I don't really see why if OP is Shia he/she shouldn't follow it.
Again, not trying to be rude, your advice is good.
I mean I do find it odd that the shia partake in acts of self harm and worship someone called Ali. But I've been brought up to respect the beliefs of others, and so I digress.

It's also odd that you say my advice is good I thought it was terrible, but to each their own I guess.
Last edited by AspiringAccount; 2 years ago
Coffee567
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not participating in the ISOC does not make you any less Muslim, it’s all about your relationship between you and allah,

don’t let the people get in the way of living your authentic life and guilt tripping you into attending.

Also what makes a person a ‘good’ Muslim? Is it a person that constantly corrects, questions and challenges others lifestyle choices or is it a person that make mistakes but then repents to allah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (98)
27.84%
No (254)
72.16%

Watched Threads