Does LSE take into account legacy in their admission criteria?

Watch
RealNickGa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A student in my school with worse grades than me ( and subjectively a worse PS ) got admission in LSE for the same course.

Her sister completed Msc from LSE just 1 year ago. Would this have affected her admission chances in any way?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also, how do you know her personal statement was worse than yours? Maybe it was more geared towards what LSE want?
RealNickGa
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Also, how do you know her personal statement was worse than yours? Maybe it was more geared towards what LSE want?
I read their PS after they submitted it.

I know LSE's criteria of what they look for in a PS and ( in my subjective opinion ) mine was better catered to them. However, that is not the point of discussion.

I was simply curious if legacy had a part in admissions. Thank you for clearing that up.
Last edited by RealNickGa; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RealNickGa)
I read their PS after they submitted it.

I know LSE's criteria of what they look for in a PS and ( in my subjective opinion ) mine was more better catered to them. However, that is not the point of discussion.

I was simply curious if legacy had a part in admissions. Thank you for clearing that up.
If you made grammatical errors like using "more better" I'm not surprised...
RealNickGa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you made grammatical errors like using "more better" I'm not surprised...
Sure, because how I type on a mobile phone at 2am is an excellent example to gauge the language skills I would use on my personal statement.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
A student in my school with worse grades than me ( and subjectively a worse PS ) got admission in LSE for the same course.

Her sister completed Msc from LSE just 1 year ago. Would this have affected her admission chances in any way?
What Lucy said. Did you get an offer? I would trust in the experience of the admissions tutor. Just because you felt it was worse doesnt mean admissions did.
RealNickGa
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What Lucy said. Did you get an offer? I would trust in the experience of the admissions tutor. Just because you felt it was worse doesnt mean admissions did.
I'm still waiting for the decision.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I'm still waiting for the decision.
So if you believe yourself to be superior in grades and PS, then surely it should make you more positive? Any interviews? You are unlikely to be identical.
RealNickGa
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
So if you believe yourself to be superior in grades and PS, then surely it should make you more positive? Any interviews? You are unlikely to be identical.
LSE does not do interviews.

It's not about being optimistic or not, I was simply curious if legacy would have some influence on admission decisions, that's all.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
LSE does not do interviews.

It's not about being optimistic or not, I was simply curious if legacy would have some influence on admission decisions, that's all.
The way you phrased it, makes it read differently.
damselbrujah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The admissions process is kind of a black box, as far as I know. It has specifically been said by LSE that they aren't needs-blind because of low endowments (p20). They manage to recruit more British students from state schools than other elite universities, but I'm sure the tremendous international income helps with that.

I've never heard of legacy being a factor, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if it plays a role. Between Gadaffi and Racist Pete we've had more than our fair share of admissions scandals--the former being more relevant here. That said, it could be any number of things.

Someone who knows more about LSE admissions may correct/enlighten me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (191)
59.87%
No (70)
21.94%
Not sure (58)
18.18%

Watched Threads