The Student Room Group

Computer Science - Bath vs York

Hi everyone,

Regarding Computer Science, which university is better and more prestigious? Bath or York?

Thank you very much.
Reply 1
I believe York
Reply 2
Sigh.

I wish everyone would stop going on about "which university is more prestigious" - it's not like you're choosing between York and Bolton.

They're both very good universities so choose the one you prefer and get the feel for. The course content and university life should be instrumental in your decision, not some minute difference in reputation.
Reply 3
Original post by Arisapo
Sigh.

I wish everyone would stop going on about "which university is more prestigious" - it's not like you're choosing between York and Bolton.

They're both very good universities so choose the one you prefer and get the feel for. The course content and university life should be instrumental in your decision, not some minute difference in reputation.

They're 12th and 16th for computer science on the CUG respectively.

You honestly think employers will care about such a tiny difference, especially considering that order could swap next year.

Go to the one you prefer.
Reply 4
Original post by Arisapo

You honestly think employers will care about such a tiny difference, especially considering that order could swap next year.

Arisapo; Indeed they both rank in similar positions.
I am a hiring manager and in the recruiting process, I receive graduates from all over Europe. Things like for example Bath not been part of the Russell group has never been in question, it is a good University and we have met very well prepared graduates. An employer assesses your profile; a combination of your skills and commercial experience.
The question is which University is more reputable. In my experience .....working in the States and in Europe, although this year Bath is higher in the UK ranking tables, York has a better international reputation.
(edited 4 years ago)
All CS courses are the same. Uni Ranking is a bogus, mostly made up numbers based or something completely irrelevant like the cost the faculty building maintenance and number of coffeehouses... Curriculum is pretty much the same everywhere, exams are the same, labs are the same. The only way you can differentiate from someone else during the interview is by having a decent GitHub portfolio or projects you did in your own time. Or additional certs you pushed trough on your own.

When you apply for a job via a third party your CV gets "cleansed" and your potential employer gets a simplified version without the name of your college or grades or anything, he wont get your name or phone number until he pays for it. CVs of fresh graduates look the same. The only way you can differentiates yourself is by doing stuff on your own.

Do you really think that a busy teach lead that graduated from a random college in 1994 and has 15mins for the interview with you will have any clue about ranking? You will be coding on a white board, you pass or you wont. The guy won't even remember your name.
Reply 6
Original post by Arisapo

Thanks for your opinion :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by citygeek
I believe York

Reply 8
Original post by CommanderKeen
All CS courses are the same. Uni Ranking is a bogus, mostly made up numbers based or something completely irrelevant like the cost the faculty building maintenance and number of coffeehouses... Curriculum is pretty much the same everywhere, exams are the same, labs are the same. The only way you can differentiate from someone else during the interview is by having a decent GitHub portfolio or projects you did in your own time. Or additional certs you pushed trough on your own.

When you apply for a job via a third party your CV gets "cleansed" and your potential employer gets a simplified version without the name of your college or grades or anything, he wont get your name or phone number until he pays for it. CVs of fresh graduates look the same. The only way you can differentiates yourself is by doing stuff on your own.

Do you really think that a busy teach lead that graduated from a random college in 1994 and has 15mins for the interview with you will have any clue about ranking? You will be coding on a white board, you pass or you wont. The guy won't even remember your name.

Original post by ericchau

Wait is reputation part opinion...
Oh guys, I thought we were dealing with cold hard facts here!
Reply 10
Before you worry about his opinion, I have put in bold everything I know to be false or just plain irrelevant in his post. Judge the rest for yourself.
Original post by CommanderKeen

Original post by ericchau
Reply 11
Original post by Molseh
Before you worry about his opinion, I have put in bold everything I know to be false or just plain irrelevant in his post. Judge the rest for yourself.

Thanks for pointing it out. I also don't agree with those points :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest