bradders10101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am working through the 2005 Cambridge University Press, worksheets for AS physics Revision, for the upcoming exams. I am on worksheet 17.

I am stuck on question 8 which states:

"Monochromatic light is incident normally at a diffraction grating with 60 lines per mm. The tenth order maximum is observed at an angle of 19 degrees."

a) Calculate the spacing between the centres of adjacent lines (mm)
b) the wavelength of incident light.

If anyone could talk me through this or find the attached mark scheme for the test, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks, James
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bradders10101)
I am working through the 2005 Cambridge University Press, worksheets for AS physics Revision, for the upcoming exams. I am on worksheet 17.

I am stuck on question 8 which states:

"Monochromatic light is incident normally at a diffraction grating with 60 lines per mm. The tenth order maximum is observed at an angle of 19 degrees."

a) Calculate the spacing between the centres of adjacent lines (mm)
b) the wavelength of incident light.

If anyone could talk me through this or find the attached mark scheme for the test, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks, James
(a) 60 lines per mm = 60,000 lines per metre (this number is usually called N). Do you know the relationship between N and d, the grating spacing?

(b) If you can get an answer to (a), you can now use the diffraction grating equation, usually written as nx = d sin(theta) (I've used x instead of lambda, can't be bothered with Latex!).

Although I think this last equation should be written as nx = d sin(theta_n), to emphasise the link between the order and the angle.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (88)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
7.14%
I haven't started researching yet (8)
5.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed