VickyT39
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,I’m a nurse practitioner. I will soon be doing the 2 day ALS course and wondered what I should be brushing up on...what to expect on the course. Any tips, comments welcome. Thank you in advance.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VickyT39)
Hi,I’m a nurse practitioner. I will soon be doing the 2 day ALS course and wondered what I should be brushing up on...what to expect on the course. Any tips, comments welcome. Thank you in advance.
I found the online learning really useful when it came to the castest, watching how to talk through thought processes and delegating tasks to the team.

The rest of it is knowing the content in the manual, I found the majority of the content covered weren’t new concepts to me working in ITU, but I don’t know what your background is. You cover all relevant content through the different sessions you do over the two days of the course. It’s an enjoyable couple of days.
VickyT39
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply, I’m a general surgery nurse practitioner covering wards and ambulatory care, unfortunately no impressive ITU background. Is the castest something we are provided with? Or something I can look at beforehand?
(Original post by moonkatt)
I found the online learning really useful when it came to the castest, watching how to talk through thought processes and delegating tasks to the team.

The rest of it is knowing the content in the manual, I found the majority of the content covered weren’t new concepts to me working in ITU, but I don’t know what your background is. You cover all relevant content through the different sessions you do over the two days of the course. It’s an enjoyable couple of days.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VickyT39)
Thank you for the reply, I’m a general surgery nurse practitioner covering wards and ambulatory care, unfortunately no impressive ITU background. Is the castest something we are provided with? Or something I can look at beforehand?
You should be given access to online content for the course, it uses videos around running a resuscitation. As part of your assessment, you have to “lead” an arrest (this is the castest) but you should get lots of practice at this over the two days before the actual assessment. If you’ve not got access to the online stuff yet, the same video is available on the resus councils YouTube page. I found being the individual running the arrest challenging (as in real life it’s usually a doc, it was weird being the one saying “do this” or “give adrenaline” etc) but the algorithms are there to guide your thinking. I found watching the videos and thinking how I’d approach the scenario I was given helpful.

The manual was what guided me tbh, I spoke to the doctors I worked with for guidance too, most suggestions were just knowing the algorithms and the manual though. The faculty on the course are there to help you pass, they were really supportive on mine.

Your experience should help you too, you’ll have encountered a lot of things in general surgery that come up in the manual.
Last edited by moonkatt; 1 year ago
VickyT39
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for that info, I like to plan and prepare for these things and your advice is so helpful so glad I got a bit of direction now xx
(Original post by moonkatt)
You should be given access to online content for the course, it uses videos around running a resuscitation. As part of your assessment, you have to “lead” an arrest (this is the castest) but you should get lots of practice at this over the two days before the actual assessment. If you’ve not got access to the online stuff yet, the same video is available on the resus councils YouTube page. I found being the individual running the arrest challenging (as in real life it’s usually a doc, it was weird being the one saying “do this” or “give adrenaline” etc) but the algorithms are there to guide your thinking. I found watching the videos and thinking how I’d approach the scenario I was given helpful.

The manual was what guided me tbh, I spoke to the doctors I worked with for guidance too, most suggestions were just knowing the algorithms and the manual though. The faculty on the course are there to help you pass, they were really supportive on mine.

Your experience should help you too, you’ll have encountered a lot of things in general surgery that come up in the manual.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you've done ILS etc its really not that different. From a nurse's perspective its probably the ECG stuff that would be the most alien and require the most preparation.

I suppose if you haven't done ILS then.. yeah, read through the book! But as above - the course should be really supportive and is 90% teaching you, not testing you.
VickyT39
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
If you've done ILS etc its really not that different. From a nurse's perspective its probably the ECG stuff that would be the most alien and require the most preparation.

I suppose if you haven't done ILS then.. yeah, read through the book! But as above - the course should be really supportive and is 90% teaching you, not testing you.
Hi. No, not done ILS unfortunately. In my new job ALS is a requirement so going from BLS to the advanced. I am reading up on ECG though as something I’ve never needed to do. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads