The Student Room Group

Retaking Maths GCSE - what to revise?

Hello, all!

I am retaking my Maths GCSE this summer. I’m very excited as this is the one subject holding me back in order to go on to my dream job as a teacher!

However, I haven’t sat an exam since college which was 6 years ago. I’m 24 now so I’m assuming the curriculum has changed.

I’m sitting the Foundation papers. I don’t really know where to start revising or what to revise. Help!

Reply 1
Congrats! I'd recommend you go through the spec and make a list of the topics you are uncomfortable with, and then start with those. Good luck!
Reply 2
The spec? Sorry!

And thank you very much for your kind words! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ishy94
Hello, all!

I am retaking my Maths GCSE this summer. I’m very excited as this is the one subject holding me back in order to go on to my dream job as a teacher!

However, I haven’t sat an exam since college which was 6 years ago. I’m 24 now so I’m assuming the curriculum has changed.

I’m sitting the Foundation papers. I don’t really know where to start revising or what to revise. Help!

Hi, which exam board will you be using e.g. Edexcel, AQA?

You should buy a textbook for your exam board as soon as you can. You have left it quite late but we're here to help if you need it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ishy94
The spec? Sorry!

And thank you very much for your kind words! :smile:

Sorry! I meant the specification which you will find on your exam board's website. It contains the topics you will be examined on.
Hiya, I had to retake last year as in 2017 I got three and I needed a four and I managed to get four last year!!

What I did, is go on Corbet maths website and he does worksheets and they are called five a day, there a five exam questions each question is a different topic do that every day. On the weekend do a past paper these can be found on Corbet maths, maths genie, and also on other website do the paper and mark the paper.

The questions that you got wrong will be the topic you need to revise for the following week. So go on maths genie and they have exam booklets which are filled with exam questions on every topic, watch the video then do the booklet.

Then the following weekend do the paper again to see if there is an improvement, then repeat this process with a different exam paper.

Closer to the exam Corbett maths and maths genie do loads of predicted papers for all the three papers please do them.

And also do maths everyday the trick is you gotta be consistent!!
Reply 6
Wonderful advice. Thank you very much!! :smile:
Reply 7
Edexcel are the exam board. Thank you so much for your support! :smile:
Original post by Ishy94
Wonderful advice. Thank you very much!! :smile:

Good luck all the best!!
Original post by Ishy94
Hello, all!

http://www.swracademy.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Maths-Revision-foundation-poster1.jpg
Foundation paper in a single poster.
Good luck! You'll manage it fine, GCSE foundation is easy, just takes a tiny bit of work.
Reply 11
Thank you!!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest