ciara.jm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In Physics we have been doing about how the Alpha Particle Experiment was to see if the Plum Pudding Model was correct. The textbook says that the people carrying out the Alpha Particle Experiment Expected the Positive Alpha Particles to pass Straight through the Atom. However this doesn’t make sense because the Plum Pudding Model stated that the Atom was a Ball of Positive Charge with Electrons. This Would Mean that they Should’ve Expected All the Particles to Be Deflected.
Can Anyone Explain How the Textbook is Correct?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MissC_2019)
In Physics we have been doing about how the Alpha Particle Experiment was to see if the Plum Pudding Model was correct. The textbook says that the people carrying out the Alpha Particle Experiment Expected the Positive Alpha Particles to pass Straight through the Atom. However this doesn’t make sense because the Plum Pudding Model stated that the Atom was a Ball of Positive Charge with Electrons. This Would Mean that they Should’ve Expected All the Particles to Be Deflected.
Can Anyone Explain How the Textbook is Correct?
The surprise was that a small proportion of the alpha particles came back at really large angles, nearly 180 degrees to their initial path - the plum pudding could not explain the large angle deflections.
username3442196
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I always thought in the Plum Pudding Model the atom is full of mixed + and - charges (basically a neutral volume), so there isn't a concentrated volume of just positive charge which is needed to explain the large deflections observed.
ciara.jm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
The surprise was that a small proportion of the alpha particles came back at really large angles, nearly 180 degrees to their initial path - the plum pudding could not explain the large angle deflections.
Thankyou, I just don’t understand why Rutherford EXPECTED the Positive Alpha Particles to Pass Through the Positive Charge?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MissC_2019)
Thankyou, I just don’t understand why Rutherford EXPECTED the Positive Alpha Particles to Pass Through the Positive Charge?
He thought the +ve and -ve charges were spread out uniformly in a sphere the size of a gold atom.

remember the gold atom is very much bigger than the nucleus so there would have been no particularly concentrated lumps of charge or mass in a plum pudding atom. it was unexpected that you could stick similar charges together in a compact nucleus - the coulomb force of repulsion would have been huge
ciara.jm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
He thought the +ve and -ve charges were spread out uniformly in a sphere the size of a gold atom.

remember the gold atom is very much bigger than the nucleus so there would have been no particularly concentrated lumps of charge or mass in a plum pudding atom. it was unexpected that you could stick similar charges together in a compact nucleus - the coulomb force of repulsion would have been huge
Thankyou!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads