Cheshire_Catt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Not sure if this is in the right section but I really need some advice/info.

So I have recently applied for a RAF Apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer. Now while I am interested in engineering what I really want to be is a pilot. I am wondering if I can apply and change to pilot after the apprenticeship. Or is it not possible? What is recommended?

This is my first post btw

Cheers.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Cheshire_Catt)
Not sure if this is in the right section but I really need some advice/info.

So I have recently applied for a RAF Apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer. Now while I am interested in engineering what I really want to be is a pilot. I am wondering if I can apply and change to pilot after the apprenticeship. Or is it not possible? What is recommended?

This is my first post btw

Cheers.
Hi

You will gain the apprenticeship as part of your phase two (role) training so it will be a while after you've started in the RAF before you've passed it.

However, if you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria for the pilot role you'll be able to apply. You'll still need to have the required GCSEs and A levels to be able to apply, your apprenticeship won't cover that in lieu.

There's nothing stopping you going for your commission (to be an Officer) once in service, many people do. You need to meet all of the entry criteria for the role though and you'll go through the same application process as everyone else that applies.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Cheshire_Catt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thanks for the speedy response, there is opportunity to complete an additional a level while in the RAF? thanks for the help.
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You will gain the apprenticeship as part of your phase two (role) training so it will be a while after you've started in the RAF before you've passed it.

However, if you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria for the pilot role you'll be able to apply. You'll still need to have the required GCSEs and A levels to be able to apply, your apprenticeship won't cover that in lieu.

There's nothing stopping you going for your commission (to be an Officer) once in service, many people do. You need to meet all of the entry criteria for the role though and you'll go through the same application process as everyone else that applies.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Cheshire_Catt)
Thanks for the speedy response, there is opportunity to complete an additional a level while in the RAF? thanks for the help.
Hi

You can study for extra educational qualifications while in service, most stations have a learning centre where you can study and even do exams (to a certain level). But you'd need to study in your own time (evenings, weekends etc), but there's plenty of opportunity to gain more qualifications while in the RAF.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads

Latest