Promotion?
And gaining qualifications?

FIA
chocolate_fan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No idea, but always wanted to be a pilot. I imagine you would get promoted fairly quickly, as I think you have to be an officer to fly (I'm possibly incorrect in my assumptions). And you would almost certainly be traveling, to bases around the world. A a pilots licence is a pretty good qualification to have. (Something the RAF would pay for, and train you).
EconWarrior
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chocolate_fan)
No idea, but always wanted to be a pilot. I imagine you would get promoted fairly quickly, as I think you have to be an officer to fly (I'm possibly incorrect in my assumptions). And you would almost certainly be traveling, to bases around the world. A a pilots licence is a pretty good qualification to have. (Something the RAF would pay for, and train you).
This is pretty inaccurate.

Firstly, promotion in the pilot branch is extremely competitive, like all branches.

The RAF will not pay for or train you for a pilots license.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by william hart)
Best roles for travelling?
Promotion?

FIA
Travelling - probably UKMAMS
Promotion - depends how good you are, but it will be an understaffed branch or trade, ie not a popular one - certainly not aircrew.
Gaining qualifications - depends what qualification you want!
EconWarrior
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Travelling - probably UKMAMS
Promotion - depends how good you are, but it will be an understaffed branch or trade, ie not a popular one - certainly not aircrew.
Gaining qualifications - depends what qualification you want!
Understaffed or relatively new, think WSO. Just been reopened after a long closure, new blood will need to fill those promotion quotas.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are roles in the RAF that you join as an officer. That is completely different to getting promotion.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Promotion?

FIA
There are far more considerations than these in trying to choose which role to apply for in the RAF. Why is travelling a consideration; you can have a rewarding job where you are mostly on your home base or with responsibility for other UK units. Do you want to join as an airman or officer? What kind of qualifications are you wanting to obtain? Is there an area in which you are already interested, such as engineering, PT, medical?
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Promotion?

FIA
Hi

For travelling? - Pretty much most of them, depending on where you want to travel and how often. But on an operational flying Sqn you'll be on exercise fairly regularly. Red Flag has just finished in the US, for example and an entire Typhoon Sqn was out there for that.
There are many others you probably haven't thought would. Movers, for example can do quite a bit for movement of gear and cargo. Air & Ground Steward do that pretty much all the time on the Air side, it's their role.
Aircrew, of course, but it will depend on what platform you're on as to where is more common.
Pers Support - depending on the role you're doing at the time, this can be quite a lot, or none at all in the day job.
But with all roles there's opportunity to travel with expeds etc too.

Promotion - After SAC it's entirely up to you, mainly. It's by competitive selection, so if you're not serious about it then it's unlikely you'll get promoted very quickly, if at all. The branch/trade you're in can play a big factor, of course. But the buck stops with you.

There's learning stations on almost every station, so it depend on what you want to study and to what level. There's some roles that you can gain a degree in service (which will be paid for by the RAF as it's for your role) but you can get other qualifications if you want to study outside of your working time.

Above all of your questions, we advise you to apply for a role that you really want to do, as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you. There's no point applying for a role that you instantly dislike to moment to come out of phase two training and be stuck in for several years just on the hope that you'll get some travel in and you may get promoted. There's hard work to do in the meantime, so make sure it's doing something you actually want to do before you apply.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi

Not really, there's a lot of long-term Flt Lts in Aircrew roles, but that's because they usually want to stick around flying an aircraft instead of a desk.
It depends on the aircraft you're streamed to as to where you'll be flying to, so some much more than others.
We don't give you a CAA pilots license, you don't come out with one of those at the end of service, that's not how it works. We do train all of our pilots from scratch though.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
username2277483
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks Adam big help. What roles can you study to a degree level out of curiosity? TIA
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

For travelling? - Pretty much most of them, depending on where you want to travel and how often. But on an operational flying Sqn you'll be on exercise fairly regularly. Red Flag has just finished in the US, for example and an entire Typhoon Sqn was out there for that.
There are many others you probably haven't thought would. Movers, for example can do quite a bit for movement of gear and cargo. Air & Ground Steward do that pretty much all the time on the Air side, it's their role.
Aircrew, of course, but it will depend on what platform you're on as to where is more common.
Pers Support - depending on the role you're doing at the time, this can be quite a lot, or none at all in the day job.
But with all roles there's opportunity to travel with expeds etc too.

Promotion - After SAC it's entirely up to you, mainly. It's by competitive selection, so if you're not serious about it then it's unlikely you'll get promoted very quickly, if at all. The branch/trade you're in can play a big factor, of course. But the buck stops with you.

There's learning stations on almost every station, so it depend on what you want to study and to what level. There's some roles that you can gain a degree in service (which will be paid for by the RAF as it's for your role) but you can get other qualifications if you want to study outside of your working time.

Above all of your questions, we advise you to apply for a role that you really want to do, as you could be doing it for a long time, so it needs to be right for you. There's no point applying for a role that you instantly dislike to moment to come out of phase two training and be stuck in for several years just on the hope that you'll get some travel in and you may get promoted. There's hard work to do in the meantime, so make sure it's doing something you actually want to do before you apply.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
RAF_Adam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks Adam big help. What roles can you study to a degree level out of curiosity? TIA
Hi

As stated, you should do a role you want to do, have a look at all of the roles the RAF has on the RAF Recruitment website, information about what you can gain is listed on each role page:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/find-your-role

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads