The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 and 2 - 4th/7th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I basically wrote out a 40/40 article but changed the format to suit a letter. Is that alright? And thanks for the feedback. I was about to go full on depressed mode.
Original post by aidanedwards2502
You can do as many paragraphs as you want but remember 'Short and strong is better than long and wrong.'
If you did 6 paragraphs its not the end of the world as long as you didn't waffle and used the correct grammar then you should be fine. Structure is also a key thing as it shows that you understand as to what the examiner wants.

I'm sure that you've done great so don't worry. Good luck for August. The exam is now over so don't overthink it :-)
Reply 81
Thanks. I hope you do well.
Original post by Loulour
Absolutely. Why not? It’s all dependent on how you did over the 2 papers. Key is not getting hung up on any part of either exam now. It’s done. You can’t add or change any of it. No point worrying! Trust me. I’ve been here before. I’m 37 and retaking both English language and Maths 21 years after first go. Maths and English were/are my “natural” subjects and I just thought good grade was going to happen. Immediately after the exams was when I started worrying, but it did me no good and took over my summer. Relax now. This bit’s over. Go do something fun!
Reply 82
Paper 2 question 5 I didn’t do the different view points I did similar view points will this be ok?
Reply 83
Paper 2 question 4 I didn’t do the different view points I did the similar view points will this be ok?
Original post by Tee.Q
Thanks. I hope you do well.

You too 😊
I done a newspaper i set it out fully like a newspaper
Any idea on how many marks I will drop
How did everybody find paper 2 today?

Question 1 - I thought that was a walk in the park - I know everybody isn't the same so don't worry if you found it hard. I'm sure you all did ace!
Question 2 - There were quite a few things that you could talk about. For example I picked up on the fact that the boats were completely different as one was 'brand spanking new' and that the other one was described as 'Old'
Question 3 - At first, I thought question 3 was hard until I read the extract properly then I got a better understanding and focused just on the techniques rather than what they were actually saying. I felt that the question was quite nice as the question wanted you to ' Find language techniques to describe the power of the sea.' There was one that proper stood out to me and that was how the 'water towered over them' - which is a metaphor/personification
Question 4 - I found this question very hard. I only wrote very minimal and this was mainly because their experiences were the same and it was therefore harder to explain and go into any further detail.
Question 5 - I have seen that some people did a newspaper article rather than a letter. Don't worry about that, there are 2 papers in which you can show off to the examiner. Examiners love it when you get straight to the point and this is mainly because they don't want to get bored. You have to keep the examiners attention because as we know, people nowadays have a shorter attention span and therefore if it's interesting then this would keep their attention. I only did 4 paragraphs:
Paragraph 1 - Introduce why your writing the letter to introduce your main line of argument
Paragraph 2 - I spoke about how looks don't really mean a thing and for this part of my answer I mentioned a celebrity that has just cared about their looks and not their reputation
Paragraph 3 - I spoke about how footballers get paid more than people in the army and the public sector.
Paragraph 4 - I spoke about how some celebrities in this day in society cause people doing bad things such as drugs etc.

This is what I did in the exam personally. If anybody did anything differently, please let me know as I'm curious.

We've done it and we now no longer need to think about the exam. Wishing everybody the best of luck for their GCSEs.
Original post by Tee.Q
I basically wrote out a 40/40 article but changed the format to suit a letter. Is that alright? And thanks for the feedback. I was about to go full on depressed mode.

If you need anymore help then please message me as I'm always happy to help :-)
all of my friends are talking about how they wrote about james charles and the kardashian’s but i didn’t even think of that yikes
dead ting , i talked about malala yousafzai winning a nobel peace prize and how she should be popular and famous for her upbringing rather than infamous "bad behaviour" of celebrities.
Original post by nightloc
all of my friends are talking about how they wrote about james charles and the kardashian’s but i didn’t even think of that yikes
So in today's AQA English Language Question 5 I have written an article instead of a letter about an article, how many marks will I lose?
I did the same
Original post by Danielreeves123
Original post by nightloc

Bahah. I dissed Kylie Jenner in mine. Didn't think of James Charles but that would've been great.
guys exactly what was question 4??? :frown:
Looking at the mark scheme it seems that you could lose 3-6 marks. But some markers will be more lenient on it.
Original post by chriswillis29
So in today's AQA English Language Question 5 I have written an article instead of a letter about an article, how many marks will I lose?

Original post by Danielreeves123
Reply 95
That paper was literally the same as last years but boats instead of surf boards even q5 was on a very similar topic😂😂
Original post by Xx.m.xX
guys exactly what was question 4??? :frown:

honestly same! i thought it said compare and compare could mean similarities and differences so i did a bit of both
I did a newspaper instead of a letter, but it was kind of with a letter. Except I didn't use dear sir/madam and I don't think I did good enough paragraphs
Would I have misinterpreted or made a brilliant inference if in question 3, I said that the sea was often referred to as like a wall which is metaphorically separating Ben from his wife, as he did mention earlier in the extract he was thinking of his wife. Being out in sea kinda acts as a separator from your loved ones, hard to put it in words. Also referred to the "horizon disappearing" as it could suggest as if his wife is slowly being cut out of his vision as he goes further out on the sea.
Original post by katylouise16
honestly same! i thought it said compare and compare could mean similarities and differences so i did a bit of both

im actually shook i did similar but explained it weirdly do you think they'll award any marks?

Quick Reply

Latest