DBR247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I currently study a law degree and interested in a PR career. If anyone else studied law and now works in PR, it would be great to hear your experience and if law is suitable.

Thanks
pumpkiny_duck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing the opposite. I have PR experience and now I want to do law. Let's do a freaky friday swap.
BenHeX
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DBR247)
I currently study a law degree and interested in a PR career. If anyone else studied law and now works in PR, it would be great to hear your experience and if law is suitable.

Thanks
I didn't study law at university level, but did at A-Level, I now work in marketing and PR and in all honesty, I think there are some transferrable skills in there.

Firstly, the best way to put it is, in law you work in a court of law and in PR you work in the court of public opinion - they both have similarities and differences. It genuinely depends on what kind of law you've studied; slander and libel can be incredibly useful in a PR field as it's important as a public relations officer to understand what to/what not to write or say in the interest of defamation etc.

Similarly, dependant on the PR career, copyright law is useful and the practices behind that, as a PR officer you will have to deal with brands and influencers breaching copyright law OR their copyright breached and it's important to be clued up on how to deal with it and what the legal stance is.

One that crops up in my life more often than perhaps I'd like, is data protection laws - if you're in charge of public relations or comms this is a need-to-know subject. Things like GDPR, PECR and Data Protection Act are incredibly useful things to know and it's useful to have a bit of legal background in order to implement it correctly and not mess up.
DBR247
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply, this is incredibly helpful!
(Original post by BenHeX)
I didn't study law at university level, but did at A-Level, I now work in marketing and PR and in all honesty, I think there are some transferrable skills in there.

Firstly, the best way to put it is, in law you work in a court of law and in PR you work in the court of public opinion - they both have similarities and differences. It genuinely depends on what kind of law you've studied; slander and libel can be incredibly useful in a PR field as it's important as a public relations officer to understand what to/what not to write or say in the interest of defamation etc.

Similarly, dependant on the PR career, copyright law is useful and the practices behind that, as a PR officer you will have to deal with brands and influencers breaching copyright law OR their copyright breached and it's important to be clued up on how to deal with it and what the legal stance is.

One that crops up in my life more often than perhaps I'd like, is data protection laws - if you're in charge of public relations or comms this is a need-to-know subject. Things like GDPR, PECR and Data Protection Act are incredibly useful things to know and it's useful to have a bit of legal background in order to implement it correctly and not mess up.
DBR247
Rep:
?
Why the swap?
(Original post by pumpkiny_duck)
I'm doing the opposite. I have PR experience and now I want to do law. Let's do a freaky friday swap.
Chubby_Panda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BenHeX)

how did you get into pr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (291)
55.96%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.04%

Watched Threads