ericchau
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

How is the reputation of the University of Edinburgh? Is it considered a prestigious, well-known, and hard-to-get-into university?

How does it compare with the Universities of St Andrews, Glasgow, and Aberdeen?

Thank you very much.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For what subject?
In general yes it is prestigous and well-known and relatively hard to get into.
In comparison to Aberdeen I'd say overall it is better. I'd say relatively similar to Glasgow (potentially higher if anything) and I'd say St.Andrews is the best. But this will vary from subject to subject
ericchau
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
For what subject?
In general yes it is prestigous and well-known and relatively hard to get into.
In comparison to Aberdeen I'd say overall it is better. I'd say relatively similar to Glasgow (potentially higher if anything) and I'd say St.Andrews is the best. But this will vary from subject to subject
Thank you for your opinion. I was only asking in general, no specific subject
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ericchau)
Reason I was asking because the subject can make quite a big difference
kenryou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I second that.

There is a difference in teaching quality for a specific subject across these university. I.e Edinburgh does not fair well in engineering compared to Glasgow but it does well in literature, medicine and informatics, etc.
ericchau
Rep:
?
(Original post by kenryou)
There is a difference in teaching quality for a specific subject across these university. I.e Edinburgh does not fair well in engineering compared to Glasgow but it does well in literature, medicine and informatics, etc.
Thank you for your answer. Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
ericchau
Rep:
?
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I was looking at its Computer Science/ Data Science courses. Is it well-know in these subjects?
Xanimede
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you Google "best unis in the world for AI" you'll usually find Edinburgh there. No other Scottish unis make it to the lists.
kenryou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Y
Thank you for your answer. Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
Yes, I will say so. The curriculum prepares the student well by building a strong foundation in the beginning.
You can have a look of the curriculum here.
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/18_19_Archi...pt/utcmpsi.htm

I cannot find much information of the other universities, but if you do, I would suggest you to benchmark it with Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science. They are one of the best school for computer science program.
https://csd.cs.cmu.edu/academic/unde...-admitted-2018
ericchau
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xanimede)
If you Google "best unis in the world for AI" you'll usually find Edinburgh there. No other Scottish unis make it to the lists.
Thanks for sharing this. I find it very helpful
ericchau
Rep:
?
(Original post by kenryou)
Y
Yes, I will say so. The curriculum prepares the student well by building a strong foundation in the beginning.
You can have a look of the curriculum here.
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/18_19_Archi...pt/utcmpsi.htm

I cannot find much information of the other universities, but if you do, I would suggest you to benchmark it with Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science. They are one of the best school for computer science program.
https://csd.cs.cmu.edu/academic/unde...-admitted-2018
Thank you for sharing very helpful information
1Person
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you ask such a question in the UofE subforum you are obviously going to receive a big number of biased feedbacks...
Anyway, to answer your questions:

Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
I would probably say it's one of the best universities in the UK for this subject.

Is it considered a prestigious (a), well-known (b), and hard-to-get-into (c) university?
(a) and (b) are much relative to your own definition of the terms used. UofE is well known as much as any other top 10 university in the UK, but it's surely not in the same league as MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Oxbridge, etc. I would say it's much closer to Bristol, Manchester and other such universities.
(c) mostly depends on your fee status. Sad but true. It's quite easy to get in as an international student, less so as RUK, and extremely hard as an EU one. To make a 'practical' example, I know of international and RUK students doing a fy course who managed to get an offer with 70%, whereas I got rejected having achieved a 90% and being told that despite my high results 'I didn't meet the right entry qualifications'. Note that a 20% difference is no joke.

I would say it's comparable to St Andrews and better than both Glasgow and Aberdeen. St Andrews might offer better teaching standards though since the university is much smaller.
ericchau
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1Person)
If you ask such a question in the UofE subforum you are obviously going to receive a big number of biased feedbacks...
Anyway, to answer your questions:

Would you say that Edinburgh does well in Computer Science/ Data Science?
I would probably say it's one of the best universities in the UK for this subject.

Is it considered a prestigious (a), well-known (b), and hard-to-get-into (c) university?
(a) and (b) are much relative to your own definition of the terms used. UofE is well known as much as any other top 10 university in the UK, but it's surely not in the same league as MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Oxbridge, etc. I would say it's much closer to Bristol, Manchester and other such universities.
(c) mostly depends on your fee status. Sad but true. It's quite easy to get in as an international student, less so as RUK, and extremely hard as an EU one. To make a 'practical' example, I know of international and RUK students doing a fy course who managed to get an offer with 70%, whereas I got rejected having achieved a 90% and being told that despite my high results 'I didn't meet the right entry qualifications'. Note that a 20% difference is no joke.

I would say it's comparable to St Andrews and better than both Glasgow and Aberdeen. St Andrews might offer better teaching standards though since the university is much smaller.
Thanks a lot for your informative answer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise