is going to a non-russel group uni a big mistake ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i have applied to Russel group unis and two non -Russel group unis and had an offer from them all . however i really love the course and the feel of the non-russel group uni . i don't know whether to choose it as it would prove to be a disadvantage to me when choosing a job ?
ericchau
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i have applied to Russel group unis and two non -Russel group unis and had an offer from them all . however i really love the course and the feel of the non-russel group uni . i don't know whether to choose it as it would prove to be a disadvantage to me when choosing a job ?
You should choose the one you like with the course you want to study the most. There are many universities that are non-Russell and rank higher than many universities in that group.
Anonymous #1
elaborate . please , its all i have been told by my teachers throughout my whole academic life .
(Original post by ltsmith)
there's just so many things wrong with this mentality that i'm not even gonna bother to explain.
Anonymous #1
will it put me at a disadvantage in term of job prospect though as Russel group universities are seen as more prestigious .
(Original post by ericchau)
You should choose the one you like with the course you want to study the most. There are many universities that are non-Russell and rank higher than many universities in that group.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose the one you can spell

Seriously, write the pros and cons, including how well you think each course and environment will suit you. Are the courses accredited?
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 year ago
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
elaborate . please , its all i have been told by my teachers throughout my whole academic life .
Simple answer:

No.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It partly depends on which non Russell group uni

I don't suppose even the snobbiest of employers would object to someone picking Bath over Liverpool, for example
Anonymous #1
im not writing thisa gain so ill quote what i wrote in another thread
Lots of people have very warped expectations of university that are incredibly out of touch with reality.

It is perfectly illustrated on this website. Most think AAA + RG + 2.1 = $$$ when in reality it's more like connections + practical skills = $$$. The influence of academia on success is greatly over exaggerated on here. If you can patch a security exploit in my software I don't a flying monkey rats if you got a F in GCSE Sociology.

It is to some extent the fault of the teachers. They don't explain to students the full picture of what to expect from a degree. However, teachers themselves aren't even qualified to give career advice. Most people who become teachers do so because it's the only way they can leverage their degree. The only people qualified to give career advice are those who have had successful careers in industry. Guess what? Most students don't have access to those type of connections. So they can't get real advice.

Lots of people go into university without a solid plan to get into a career. They think they can cruise through their 3 years without doing any networking, placements, internships, publications, practical projects and extracurriculars and still get a high flying job. What they don't realise is that every tom, ****, and harry is cruising through and is also applying for those high flying jobs, with most having a 40:1 applicant to offer ratio. A technology startup I interviewed with told me that they had 300 people applying for the programming gig and they only selected 5 for the interview. To be successful, YOU MUST STAND OUT (see the bold).
thank-you . cleared up a lot of rumors.
Anonymous #1
aston uni
(Original post by harrysbar)
It partly depends on which non Russell group uni

I don't suppose even the snobbiest of employers would object to someone picking Bath over Liverpool, for example
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
will it put me at a disadvantage in term of job prospect though as Russel group universities are seen as more prestigious .
Which degree? I'm a teacher [selective school] and many students choose non-RG for courses such as Engineering where 'hands-on' experience will put you ahead of the crowd.
Anonymous #1
optometry at Aston university
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which degree? I'm a teacher [selective school] and many students choose non-RG for courses such as Engineering where 'hands-on' experience will put you ahead of the crowd.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
aston uni
Care to elaborate?
username4310824
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St. Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, SOAS, etc. are all great universities that aren't part of the RG.

It doesn't matter.
benwhite13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
can you say which uni
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Last year I was in your exact position - I thought I MUST go to a Russel Group uni or there is just no point in going to uni. So I applied, the requirements were AAB. Now I was not an AAB student, the amount of pressure I put on myself to get those grades was outstanding, to the point where I broke, and I didn’t end up doing my exams (very simplified version of why). So I’ve retaken the year and watched all my friends go to uni, both friends who have gone to uni, the majority went to non Russel group unis, and they LOVE IT. I always think thought you had to get into the best unis, but even looking round non Russel group unis, they just seem to care more. Russel groups you may have around 100 in a lecture, non Russel groups are more inclusive, and they take that pressure off of you a bit. And I was talking to someone who deals with job applications mow, and they look at where you went to uni, but they also look at what your result was, not only that but they look at your A levels too! So it’s not just what uni you went to anymore, it’s a lot more. If you love the non Russel group uni then go for it! Get good grades at A level, and just enjoy the course and the uni. You shouldn’t be choosing a uni because a newspaper said it was better statistically you should be choosing it because YOU love it. The people who make the stats don’t have to live there for three years, you do.
I hope this helped!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wouldn't matter for optometry - especially considering hardly any Russell group unis even offer it (only Manchester, I think)
Anonymous #1
aston university instead of bristol
(Original post by benwhite13)
can you say which uni
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A tragically terrible field from a barely mid-tier university. Not the best of ideas.

You don't have to go to a RG uni, there's good universities that aren't RG. Aston isn't one of them, however.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please TSR, ****ing please mod this question. Censor the words, anything.
Anonymous #1
Manchester and Bristol . having a hard time deciding between bristol and aston
(Original post by harrysbar)
Wouldn't matter for optometry - especially considering hardly any Russell group unis even offer it (only Manchester, I think)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads