grades 8/9 help Watch

huda122
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi im working at grade 5/6s and I'd like to boost these grades to 7/8s maybe 9s if possible and id like to know the steps on how to achieve these grades from those who have. I do
maths
both English lit and lang
sociology
biology
re
chemistry
physics
history
French
thank you and good luck
fm4n
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey I´m currently in Year 11 so I haven´t taken my GCSEs but I got all 8s and 9s (or equivalent since my school takes some odd exam boards) in my mocks. The main thing I can recommend to do is to really look at mark schemes to see what sort of things the markers are looking for in your answers.

This is especially relevant for chemistry, physics and those longer answer biology questions!
As for french, vocab vocab vocab. Best of luck!
(Original post by huda122)
hi im working at grade 5/6s and I'd like to boost these grades to 7/8s maybe 9s if possible and id like to know the steps on how to achieve these grades from those who have. I do
maths
sociology
biology
re
chemistry
physics
history
French
thank you and good luck
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Past papers.
huda122
Rep:
?
could you please elaborate?
(Original post by kurro)
Past papers.
asoar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
maths
sociology
biology
re
chemistry
physics
history
French
thank you and good luck
Hi I'm in year 12 right now and I got 9s in english lit/lang, all sciences, maths and geography, and 8 in french so I can help with those.
For english lit, I would say for each text/poem you are studying, either come up with or search up a few really advanced analysis points and then perhaps make mindmaps on each point, linking them to each theme/character so you can use them in whatever exam question you get.
For english language, read some more books and get in the habit of analyzing samples of the text as if it were a sample given in an exam. Also, for the creative writing, search up writing inspiration images and try writing descriptive/narrative pieces from them. Use good youtubers like Mr Bruff (especially good for poetry) and Mr Salles.
For the sciences, look at the specification for each one and make flash cards on everything on the spec. If there are any definitions/things on the spec that the examiners want you to know word for word, make sure you write those on flashcards and learn them word for word. Also, make sure you are very familiar with the required practicals and know the method for each one. Make sure you know why you are doing each step of the practicals as well and try to relate them to as many different topics possible as that's what they like to give you questions about in the exams. For maths, firstly make sure you are strong with the basics; use the website mathsgenie. Then find as many hard, grade 9 questions possible and practice them. If you don't understand them, get you teacher to explain them. If you can, buy the grade 9 maths workbooks, they are really useful.
For french, try watching french movies and listening to french songs - helps with the listening paper. Also, try using A level past papers for practice with reading/listening as the new french exams are much harder than the old past papers, so they won't help that much. In terms of the speaking, make sure your accent is good as it helps you sound much more advanced, even if what you are saying isn't amazing.
Hope this helped x
kurro
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
could you please elaborate?
Just literally keep doing past papers. You will get used to how the exam board wants you to answer and thus you will not miss out any silly marks here and there.

If you have problems with topics, just use the exam board revision book. Aks your teachers if there are any spares that you can lend. Or check your local library (that's where I got most of mine)
As the notes are all from your exam board and I think they are more useful than any other website.

But you can also go on YouTube to get explanations of specific topics (just search the topic and on youtube, there should be some kind of explanation).
I used the video's mostly for maths and chemistry.
huda122
Rep:
?
(Original post by kurro)
Just literally keep doing past papers. You will get used to how the exam board wants you to answer and thus you will not miss out any silly marks here and there.

If you have problems with topics, just use the exam board revision book. Aks your teachers if there are any spares that you can lend. Or check your local library (that's where I got most of mine)
As the notes are all from your exam board and I think they are more useful than any other website.

But you can also go on YouTube to get explanations of specific topics (just search the topic and on youtube, there should be some kind of explanation).
I used the video's mostly for maths and chemistry.
thank you ive started doing some past papers and learning content as i go along. do you recommend making flashcards on the mark schemes etc for examples. im trying to start but do you think its too late
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
rockyball89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thank you ive started doing some past papers and learning content as i go along. do you recommend making flashcards on the mark schemes etc for examples. im trying to start but do you think its too late
No it's not late & you don't need to make flashcards. What you will find is when you start doing the past papers the questions start to get repetitive, and if you do the same past paper like 3 times the answers to the questions you didn't get right will stick in your head only if you understand it and you don't memorise it. You can make notes on a topic and remember ti 100% if you underststand it if you just cram stuff in it would take time to recall the information & goodluck I haven't started - I'm currently on 6's and 7's btw.
kurro
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have never tried flashcards, but it varies for usefulness between people. So you can try them.
It is not too late
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads