mattctmccoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My 18 year old son has just failed his RAF medical on the grounds he dislocated his shoulder 5 times between the ages 14-16, he then had a shoulder stabilisation operation and has not had a further occurrence, are there grounds to appeal , he was only joining to be a intelligence analyst, I can’t see how his past shoulder problems would prevent him doing this, he’s a very fit 18 year old & currently works on a building site lifting heavy loads and never has an issue
Joe_01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi there,

Unfortunately they can fail him on his medical for “recurrent joint dislocations.” This can preclude entry completely and stop him from joining. There is a long list which you can find with a quick google search of all the medical conditions that preclude entry. Sorry!
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mattctmccoy)
My 18 year old son has just failed his RAF medical on the grounds he dislocated his shoulder 5 times between the ages 14-16, he then had a shoulder stabilisation operation and has not had a further occurrence, are there grounds to appeal , he was only joining to be a intelligence analyst, I can’t see how his past shoulder problems would prevent him doing this, he’s a very fit 18 year old & currently works on a building site lifting heavy loads and never has an issue
I've replied to this on the other thread where you posted this question, with more detail than I'm putting here. Recurrent dislocations, even with a stabilisation operation, precludes entry to the RAF.
mattctmccoy
Rep:
?
Yes I’ve just read it, I’m heartbroken for him it’s all he ever wanted to do & he is such a fit strong young man, he currently works at a builders and he’s at the gym 3-4 times a week, very keen boxer, and when he went for his medical the doctor said that as long as he had not a further dislocation after the stabilisation operation he would be ok
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes I’ve just read it, I’m heartbroken for him it’s all he ever wanted to do & he is such a fit strong young man, he currently works at a builders and he’s at the gym 3-4 times a week, very keen boxer, and when he went for where medical the doctor said that as long as he had not a further dislocation after the stabilisation operation he would be ok
I understand where you coming from, with your son's job and his sporting activities. However, to an extent, they are controlled environments, your son knows his limitations. He won't have that luxury in the RAF; he could be moving or carrying kit, making unnatural movements, and not have time to assess what he is doing. The RAF can't take the risk of someone who might have a problem at a crucial time, such as when handling a weapon.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

Your son can appeal the decision, he will need to get all evidence from his GP that he can and write to the Directorate of Medicine at RAF Cranwell (the address should be on the letter he's received, but please advise if not).

Unfortunately the medical is in place for a reason to make sure everyone is fit for operational service. As much as someone is fit and healthy in a civilian job day-to-day, the stresses under an operational requirement can be very different and every needs to be fit enough to be able to operate in these environments.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
mattctmccoy
Rep:
?
Hi Adam, thanks for replying, the annoying thing is that we were prepared for the news that the shoulder may be a problem, when I asked the doctor at his medical was this an issue he stated as long as he has had no further dislocations since his stabilisation operation then he will be ok, which was such a sense of comfort to him & to receive this news is such a kick in the teeth for him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (175)
24.01%
Pop (180)
24.69%
Jazz (29)