The Student Room Group

English Speech Exam

Hey, I’d like to share my English speaking exam that I wrote, which I have to present In front of a few students and examiners; tips and criticism are very welcome, I’m aiming to get a distinction grade. I am 15 (year 11) for any reference for the quality of my work.

My speech is about The Emphasis On Grades And Exams:

“Uneasy, anxious and choked by the worry upcoming exams ,students don’t have enough time for themselves and to relax. Is it right to make students believe that if they don’t do well in exams they won’t do well in life?
Pressured into thinking that they aren’t good enough ,unless they achieve academically, students nowadays lack confidence in terms of education.
Many Past generations of children have also been told the same thing, that if your grades aren’t as good as other peoples ,and aren’t as good as expected ,you won’t succeed in life.
Constantly compared to their peers ,friends and family students may feel they underachieve and fail their parents or societies expectations.
Studies carried out by David Lewis, a psychologist who is observing human behaviour caused by stress ,show that exam stress has led many students to develop issues with confidence and anxiety disorders.The studies further go on to show that the more the importance of exams is exaggerated ,the more society expects of today’s students and the more concerned they become.

On the other hand I do understand that many may argue that exams are indeed essential to cope in life ,and to help teachers understand what skills students have and what levels they’re working at and further improve and develop their abilities. However Finland, a country rich in intellectual and educational reform, has revolutionised their educational system and have abolished the traditional merit-based school system. There is no competition between students ,instead they cooperate with each other. This leads to having harmonious and healthy student and learning environment.

To conclude exams are not essential for success as they don’t test students on how they’ll deal with life, instead students are tested on things like quadratic equations. At such a young age student shouldn’t have to deal with that much stress and tension.”
I did the same task last year for a speech. It's not so much marked on speech techniques or whatever, but more on just your ability to talk and in a sophisticated manner. Most of your marks come from the questions after you give it (which is what we did at least). We were able to prepare questions to be asked to give to people if we wanted so that was useful.
So basically just try to not worry while you're doing it and just show some enthusiasm in what you're saying.
I don't know how useful any of that was for you but its how it was for us last year, and I got the distinction fairly easily, despite not remembering what i had actually planned. I just knew the sections i was going over and basically spoke from my own mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending