The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is OBSESSED with his younger brother

Okay so first let me just say, I know it’s normal for siblings to get along and love eachother, although I feel like my boyfriend takes it a bit far. We’ve been dating for almost a year now but there’s something about him I don’t get. He has an obsession with his four year old brother. Like madly. On our first ever date, he bumped into his brother in town, and literally made me wait on my own to go to the fair for 20 minutes with his bro to keep his bro happy. This is odd seeing as it’s the first date and I found that rude. Also, whenever I’m over his house, he will literally BRING his brother into his bedroom with us all the time for no reason. Most teenage boys wouldn’t want a kid tagging along with his girlfriend, and when I mean he came into his room I don’t mean now and again which would be fine, I mean every single time I was there, he would purposely bring his brother upstairs. Also, when we went on dates, he even went as far to bring his brother wish us. I could never spend time with my boyfriend alone. The reason why this offended me the most is because he lives with his brother 24/7 anyway, and the fact that he needed him there whenever I was there also, I mean that’s a bit extreme. It made me jealous and wonder why he didn’t want to spend time with just me. Can someone help please, I don’t know what to do ? I know he needs to be a good brother, but if he takes me seriously shouldn’t he be a good boyfriend too? There needs to be balance and fairness
(edited 5 years ago)
Guys know that girls find boys who are good to their younger siblings hot/cute
Maybe your bf is a nonce?
Reply 3
Yes and I agree, but the way he is extreme about it to the point where it literally interferes with our relationship
Original post by Rainfall
Guys know that girls find boys who are good to their younger siblings hot/cute
It sounds like he's being a good brother. If it bothers you talk to him about it.
Talk to him about it
Reply 6
Love is temporary family is for forever. I think most girls like that boys are family-orientated and maybe he just loves his brother or past family trauma. But if it's getting to the point where it affects your relationship speak to him about it though you might come off a bit insensitive.
maybe his parent's left him alone with his brother when you went on dates or when you come over (guys usually invite girls over when their parents aren't home) and he needs to look after him. Maybe his brother used to be seriously ill or he lost a sibling and can't deal with it
Reply 8
He obviously cares a lot about his younger brother and they have a good relationship but even I admit that seems a bit extreme.

You can talk to him about it and how you feel but I imagine there’s a reason why they’re so close and he’ll likely always prioritise the relationship with his brother over the one with you.
ah. I thought you meant what I do, which is gush about them, text them and make sure they're ok but that's only because our mum flippin hates me and tries to keep me away from them, so Im a bit extra-protective of em. And I make sure anyone I know does NOT disrespect my family in ANY way or I'm fighting you end of. But bringing on a date? lol I mean it depends where it is, if it's like a carny or theme park or something like that, deal with it because...he likes ya and thinks you'll envision what it would be like to have a family with you. It's kinda like guys tryna woo a girl with his pet dog cos he looks dead sensitive and that lol. Just ask your guy for some alone time, but dont ever like act rude when the little brother is there or bad mouth the situation, he should leave you for that.
Original post by DemonTrolley
Maybe your bf is a nonce?

lmao you're ****ing stupid bruv
Reply 11
Original post by Bang Outta Order
ah. I thought you meant what I do, which is gush about them, text them and make sure they're ok but that's only because our mum flippin hates me and tries to keep me away from them, so Im a bit extra-protective of em. And I make sure anyone I know does NOT disrespect my family in ANY way or I'm fighting you end of. But bringing on a date? lol I mean it depends where it is, if it's like a carny or theme park or something like that, deal with it because...he likes ya and thinks you'll envision what it would be like to have a family with you. It's kinda like guys tryna woo a girl with his pet dog cos he looks dead sensitive and that lol. Just ask your guy for some alone time, but dont ever like act rude when the little brother is there or bad mouth the situation, he should leave you for that.

Thanks for the advice, it’s difficult because I have nothing against him and his little brother being close, I just feel like there’s no balance and he doesn’t take me seriously :frown:
Original post by Lisa789869
Okay so first let me just say, I know it’s normal for siblings to get along and love eachother, although I feel like my boyfriend takes it a bit far. We’ve been dating for almost a year now but there’s something about him I don’t get. He has an obsession with his four year old brother. Like madly. On our first ever date, he bumped into his brother in town, and literally made me wait on my own to go to the fair for 20 minutes with his bro to keep his bro happy. This is odd seeing as it’s the first date and I found that rude. Also, whenever I’m over his house, he will literally BRING his brother into his bedroom with us all the time for no reason. Most teenage boys wouldn’t want a kid tagging along with his girlfriend, and when I mean he came into his room I don’t mean now and again which would be fine, I mean every single time I was there, he would purposely bring his brother upstairs. Also, when we went on dates, he even went as far to bring his brother wish us. I could never spend time with my boyfriend alone. The reason why this offended me the most is because he lives with his brother 24/7 anyway, and the fact that he needed him there whenever I was there also, I mean that’s a bit extreme. It made me jealous and wonder why he didn’t want to spend time with just me. Can someone help please, I don’t know what to do ? I know family is family, but I feel there should be a balance and he should be more fair

There's nothing wrong with him spending time with his brother. If you want some alone time then speak up, he may not know how much this bothers you. Say something and solve the problem!
I think it’s sweet. The little boy is lucky to have him as a brother.
My boyfriend is the same way and I can’t deal with it. I finally let it build up and got PISSED. I told him it’s ruining our relationship and I never feel like his priority. What you do versus what you say should match up, and with him they don’t
Original post by Lisa789869
Okay so first let me just say, I know it’s normal for siblings to get along and love eachother, although I feel like my boyfriend takes it a bit far. We’ve been dating for almost a year now but there’s something about him I don’t get. He has an obsession with his four year old brother. Like madly. On our first ever date, he bumped into his brother in town, and literally made me wait on my own to go to the fair for 20 minutes with his bro to keep his bro happy. This is odd seeing as it’s the first date and I found that rude. Also, whenever I’m over his house, he will literally BRING his brother into his bedroom with us all the time for no reason. Most teenage boys wouldn’t want a kid tagging along with his girlfriend, and when I mean he came into his room I don’t mean now and again which would be fine, I mean every single time I was there, he would purposely bring his brother upstairs. Also, when we went on dates, he even went as far to bring his brother wish us. I could never spend time with my boyfriend alone. The reason why this offended me the most is because he lives with his brother 24/7 anyway, and the fact that he needed him there whenever I was there also, I mean that’s a bit extreme. It made me jealous and wonder why he didn’t want to spend time with just me. Can someone help please, I don’t know what to do ? I know he needs to be a good brother, but if he takes me seriously shouldn’t he be a good boyfriend too? There needs to be balance and fairness

Do they still have parents? Are they nice? Maybe the kid has an illness or something. There might be something at least for your bf to be that protective to his little brother

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending