Petition to revoke Article 50 broke Parliament's site, over SIX million people signed

Watch
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by generallee)
Yes we voted to go in after a referendum. Just as we have voted to leave after one.
No we didn't. We joined in 1973. The referendum was 1975. The referendum question was:-

"The Government has announced the results of the renegotiation of the United Kingdom's terms of membership of the European Community.

Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)?"
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
No we didn't. We joined in 1973. The referendum was 1975. The referendum question was:-

"The Government has announced the results of the renegotiation of the United Kingdom's terms of membership of the European Community.

Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)?"
You just nulli-fied generallee's point entirely. Now do it thrice and you'll have earned your name.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Motoring to 5m this morning.

I wonder how large it would have to get for the PM to take any notice? :rolleyes:
generallee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)

Pedantry.

I'm well aware of exactly what happened and when. Ted Heath negotiated an absolutely terrible deal, (which haunts us still, although Thatcher managed to to get a rebate which saved us billions over the years) and Harold Wilson pretended to get some improvements to the terms, but like Cameron's they were cosmetic and meaningless. Then, like Cameron he conducted a vote to "settle the matter" to keep his party together (Wilson's abiding obsession), but unlike him he won. Wilson was a good deal cleverer than Cameron, and much more savvy politically for all his many faults.

What we joined in the seventies was a very very different organisation. It was a free trade organisation not an embryonic federal superstate with its own currency and army. The British people have never bought into that, and never will.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Your record's as broken as the bloody petition site.
That's a joke coming from a Remoaner. All we have heard for the last three years has been your whining and whinging and refusal to accept that you lost, fair and square.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's a joke coming from a Remoaner. All we have heard for the last three years has been your whining and whinging and refusal to accept that you lost, fair and square.
Fair and square? :beard:

Have you paid those fines yet? With more to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Notoriety
Rep:
?
It was a joke full stop, but you lot don't have a sense of humour. Too busy doing your Lewis Prothero impression.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What we joined in the seventies was a very very different organisation. It was a free trade organisation not an embryonic federal superstate with its own currency and army. The British people have never bought into that, and never will.
There is no European Army. It was a fantasy concept since ditched apart from its use as a rhetorical tool by Macron whenever he feels the need.
https://www.ecfr.eu/article/commenta...sunderstanding

We never joined the Euro, so arguments about it are irrelevant to us.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
There is no European Army. It was a fantasy concept since ditched apart from its use as a rhetorical tool by Macron whenever he feels the need.

Eurofanatics like you said the sky would fall down on us if we didn't join, if you recall. Instead the sky fell down on Greece.

Not only a vassal state to Germany and Brussels, but a perennially bankrupt one, whose debts are never forgiven.

You are right, it isn't a federal superstate yet. If it were it could control its own borders, solve its internal refugee crisis and would not destroy Greece as it is doing. But ask a Brussels mandarin what is the answer to these existential problems and he or she says with a gallic shrug "it is more Europe, not less, mon ami..."
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Over 700,000 people have petitioned Parliament to revoke Article 50. In such numbers the site was temporarily unavailable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47652071

Worry not, though. It's now back up and if you wanna add your voice to the calls to revoke Article 50, here is the link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Note the petition to leave the EU without a deal has only 371,000 people signed up. Maybe those lot don't know how to use computers
I think it's time to edit the title
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
I think it's time to edit the title
Give it a few minutes for it to go to 5 million...

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doones)
Give it a few minutes for it to go to 5 million...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah good idea
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Five million now.

With Hammond saying a second referendum deserves to be considered. It may just be lip service, but is a significant departure for a senior minister from the dogmatism we’ve had from May.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  Screenshot_20190324-141816-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  69.0 KB
lauren2712
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unless this gets more than 17.4 million like the number of votes it was to leave and it can be verified that 17.4 million of them are from UK citizens who are able to vote then this doesn’t mean anything. We’ve already heard the will of the people so people need to accept how democracy works and stop trying to revote until they get the outcome they want.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The petition has hit 5 million!
Last edited by username3973192; 1 year ago
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)

A fantasy concept that seems to be getting even more real, we have already seen top EU officials calling for countries to give up large amounts of soverignty.
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who edited the OP?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doones)
Name:  Screenshot_20190324-141816-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  69.0 KB
Exciting time. Feel like that time I first saw the Cheeky Girls.

Paradoxically, we'll be kicking them out the country if this petition is ignored.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
Who edited the OP?
C'est moi!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (107)
13.49%
I'm not sure (36)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.52%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (388)
48.93%

Watched Threads