Petition to revoke Article 50 broke Parliament's site, over SIX million people signed Watch

Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well if nothing else, this demonstrates once again that remain has far more support than no deal does. Not that anyone ought to be surprised by that.
Glaz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
looooool the site's down again
(Original post by Notoriety)
Over 700,000 people have petitioned Parliament to revoke Article 50. In such numbers the site was temporarily unavailable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47652071

Worry not, though. It's now back up and if you wanna add your voice to the calls to revoke Article 50, here is the link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Note the petition to leave the EU without a deal has only 371,000 people signed up. Maybe those lot don't know how to use computers
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by HowToBeABlobfish)
looooool the site's down again
Yeah, every time I check I am getting Bad Gateway. Takes a couple refreshes to get there.

I think the bloke who owns Wetherspoons is organising a DDoS attack to stop people signing up.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 month ago
generallee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
You claim there are tens of thousands of signatures from North Korea and Afghanistan yet provide a link listing 1 signature from North Korea. There are three signatures from Afghanistan.

I'm not even going to bother to ridicule you, you are too easy a target.

Best of luck with your upcoming GCSE exams.
Slip of the keys, old boy. You don't deny that there are "tens of thousands" of non Brits inflating this petition, I presume?

(Who gives a fcuk anyway? It doesn't matter if 18 million people sign it, every one of them genuine. We have had the "petition" that decided this already.
It was called the Referendum).
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The 4 mil one led to the referendum in the first place. What are you even talking about?

Indeed, they're not generally listened to. But this is a unique time of political uncertainty and lack of leadership.
Not really, it was more about party politics and competing with UKIP. If the referendum has taught us anything it's that people's voices don't matter unless you're a powerful group of MP's/Ministers and hijack it for a mandate of your own agenda.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The effect of Theresa May's speech yesterday on the petition is pretty clear...

Name:  IMG_20190321_151652-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  97.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20190321_151643-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  76.2 KB

It would be :toofunny: if it wasn't :cry2:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
Well if nothing else, this demonstrates once again that remain has far more support than no deal does. Not that anyone ought to be surprised by that.
No it doesnt. It just means the people who have bothered to sign the petition.
How many people in the UK are there eligible to vote?
How many people voted in the referendum?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
There's a No Deal petition running at the moment. I wonder how it compares....
Name:  IMG_20190321_152356-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  50.5 KB

Nigel won't be happy.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Funny how a internet petition supposedly shows support for remain, but the result of the referendum doesn't count as justification to leave. :lol:
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dez)
No deal don't need to sign a petition, it is the the default position without a decision.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by generallee)
Slip of the keys, old boy. You don't deny that there are "tens of thousands" of non Brits inflating this petition, I presume?

(Who gives a fcuk anyway? It doesn't matter if 18 million people sign it, every one of them genuine. We have had the "petition" that decided this already.
It was called the Referendum).
Andrea Leadsom has announced in the Commons the gov should abide by it if it reaches 17.4million. Perhaps she might regret that statement...
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Funny how a internet petition supposedly shows support for remain, but the result of the referendum doesn't count as justification to leave. :lol:
It isn't that. It's just the Brexit position is unclear and it seems like we're gonna have to No Deal it, which will be disastrous. When we don't know what Brexit means and this lack of clarity is to bring such disastrous consequences, it becomes relevant to look at the issue again.

However, if there were political consensus on what the deal would look like, then the ref result would stand.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Doones)
There's a No Deal petition running at the moment. I wonder how it compares....
Name:  IMG_20190321_152356-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  50.5 KB

Nigel won't be happy.
Isnt that a bit misleading because it doesnt take into account leavers who want a deal?

You have the remain nirvana for some v the nuclear option?
Nigel wont care. He has his generous pension.
The vote has taken place.

The only way you could override the referendum with legitimacy is to have a general election with one party having in its manifesto either leave or remain promising a new referendum.

The organisation of the first one and the fact parliament cant decide has been a disaster.

I would have rather academics and business people have made the real case and then people could have absorbed that.

Any new referendum would have had the benefit of 3 years debate.
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it possible to sign an online petition more than once? If so, that's why I don't trust them
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Isnt that a bit misleading because it doesnt take into account leavers who want a deal?

You have the remain nirvana for some v the nuclear option?
Nigel wont care. He has his generous pension.
The vote has taken place.

The only way you could override the referendum with legitimacy is to have a general election with one party having in its manifesto either leave or remain promising a new referendum.

The organisation of the first one and the fact parliament cant decide has been a disaster.

I would have rather academics and business people have made the real case and then people could have absorbed that.

Any new referendum would have had the benefit of 3 years debate.
Revoking Art. 50 doesn't actually mean staying in the EU forever. It is clear, at least in academic commentary, that bona fide Art. 50 notifications must be respected by the European Council. If we decide later to notify once again, following the proper constitutional protocols, then the European Council would have to receive it.

This becomes rather important if the other EU-MSs don't agree to an extension and we cannot negotiate new terms -- remember, new terms are needed for the deal to be put to the Commons per the Speaker's provisional ruling. We could simply delay Brexit by revoking the notification and reinstating it at a later date.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
*Ode to Joy intensifies*

999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 month ago
Revoking Art. 50 doesn't actually mean staying in the EU forever. It is clear, at least in academic commentary, that bona fide Art. 50 notifications must be respected by the European Council. If we decide later to notify once again, following the proper constitutional protocols, then the European Council would have to receive it.

This becomes rather important if the other EU-MSs don't agree to an extension and we cannot negotiate new terms -- remember, new terms are needed for the deal to be put to the Commons per the Speaker's provisional ruling. We could simply delay Brexit by revoking the notification and reinstating it at a later date.
Yes I understand how it works and it being within our control. I can only take so much TSR and then I have to listen to real news and experts (no comment on you). You know what I mean, sane adults. They were discussing last night that EU leaders dont want to be seen as the ones that forced a no deal brexit , hence I was predicting ages ago the loss and then the small extension is what would happen.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes I understand how it works and it being within our control. I can only take so much TSR and then I have to listen to real news and experts (no comment on you). You know what I mean, sane adults. They were discussing last night that EU leaders dont want to be seen as the ones that forced a no deal brexit , hence I was predicting ages ago the loss and then the small extension is what would happen.
EYYY, I have solid academic pedigree.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)
Is it possible to sign an online petition more than once? If so, that's why I don't trust them
You provide an email address for validation, so no not with the same email.

They also have other checks in place (IP, etc)
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 month ago
EYYY, I have solid academic pedigree.
There used to be a dog food called Pedigree Chum, wonder if they still sell that? Oh O see they do.
I wasnt questioning your explanation ftaod.

Oh and isnt the point that if they get 100,000 signatures then they cam consider discussing it in parliament? You want them to talk about it even more?

Imo EU Commission rubbish
Cons rubbish.
Labour rubbish.

Surely this country has some sane competent people who could analyse and then negotiate a successful deal? Crazy and sad imo.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (137)
22.83%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.67%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
18.33%
It was TERRIBLE (91)
15.17%

Watched Threads