Petition to revoke Article 50 broke Parliament's site, over SIX million people signed Watch

jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
-We lost the vote
-The vote doesnt matter referendums are stupid and so is listening to the people in situations like this
-WOW LOOK 1 MILLION VOTES LOOKS LIKE MAY IS DONE FOR!!!!!!
-petitions and votes can and should influence decisions
-cry about Russian interference and deny it happening in this situation

Very nice
Exactly, it's funny to see that the same people who claim the referendum was unfair/rigged/fraudulent are now taking some online poll as serious evidence.
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
36 to go!
:woo:

It was adequately creepy :yep:
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
:woo:

It was adequately creepy :yep:
You didn't respond
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
Exactly, the people chose poorly and now we get to watch the carnage unfold.
I suspect that in general, Leave voters will be more adversely affected by a No Deal Brexit.

I'm not too worried about my future, I'm young, fit and healthy. But all those Brexiteer old people that rely on the NHS, they are going to be in a pickle.
Likewise. I have assessed the potential impact and it should be minimal, but I'm lucky in my personal circumstances.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
The next general election is after the parliament from the previous one has served its time. This would be the equivalent of having another general election before the MPs had even taken their seats.

However, personally I'm not against another referendum as I'm sure the result would be the same again.
I'm pretty much past caring now.
Parliament should really do their job and act in the best interests of the country/their constituents rather than worrying about re-election. But they won't. I can see many of them losing their bottle/conscience and voting for May's Deal simply to avoid No Deal, when the only rational course is to revoke A50 and damn the spittle-flecked outrage of Leavers. But reason often pales next to self-interest. 'Twas always thus. it's why we are up this creek in the first place.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by generallee)
Funny that you should call it fake news. The petition has been hijacked by tens of thousands of fake signatures from North Korea and Afghanistan. But you won't hear of that on the biased BBC...

https://order-order.com/2019/03/21/f...ke-signatures/
"Tens of thousands"?
Did you actually look at the data or just take the word of a partisan website?
There have been 3 votes from Afghanistan and 1 from North Korea.
But then, when have Leavers ever worried about those inconvenient little things called "facts"?
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yawn.

Until you get 17.5 million signatures, stfu.
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1,500,000 signatures now.

17 million is highly unlikely but you can bet the EU is noticing the interest in this petition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Notnek
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
"Tens of thousands"?
But then, when have Leavers ever worried about those inconvenient little things called "facts"?
Yes there are currently 1,261,367 signatures from the UK which is 84% of the total.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockrunride)
Yawn.

Until you get 17.5 million signatures, stfu.
Don't get your knickers in a twist, pal. Just a bit of harmless democratic process.
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forgive my ignorance but what is article 50? have heard it a lot but dont really understand it, afaik it's the thing that's keeping us in the EU?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Forgive my ignorance but what is article 50? have heard it a lot but dont really understand it, afaik it's the thing that's keeping us in the EU?
Art.50 sets out how we notify the EU that we wish to leave. Hence, we have given the EU an Art. 50 notification.

The revocation of Art. 50 is essentially telling the EU we no longer wish to leave; which we can do unilaterally (i.e without the EU's consent) according to the Court of Justice of the EU.
Last edited by Notoriety; 1 month ago
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Art.50 sets out how we notify the EU that we wish to leave. Hence, we have given the EU an Art. 50 notification.

The revocation of Art. 50 is essentially telling the EU we are no longer wish to leave; which we can do unilaterally (i.e without the EU's consent) according to the Court of Justice of the EU.
Ohhh so the petition is so we can remain in the EU? Thanks notoriety
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to the petitioners, revoking Article 50 (the intent to leave the EU) keeps us in it. But I would think twice about it because we already had the referendum, literally nothing stops Lord EU from deciding to punish us even if we had voted Remain since we'd be viewed as a naughty kid that stepped out of line.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 1 month ago
You missed blissful.

Do Guinea pigs care? Nope they are too smart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ion-youll-find
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hello_shawn)
According to the petitioners, revoking Article 50 (the intent to leave the EU) keeps us in it. But I would think twice about it because we already had the referendum, literally nothing stops Lord EU from deciding to punish us even if we had voted Remain since we'd be viewed as a naughty kid that stepped out of line.
Thats very interesting to know, thank you shawn

(Original post by 999tigger)
You missed blissful.

To be honest if guineas ran the government we would be in a much better place than we are currently
Thanks for the link tigger :hugs:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You missed blissful.

Tay-Tay said it best, haters gonna hate.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QE2)
"Tens of thousands"?
I mean there have been 3 votes using an ip in Afghanistan and 1 using an ip from North Korea
Just as easy for some Chinese 50 cent member to do the same but with a uk VPN and for anyone else wanting to do this.

Not that I deny tha there are more than 1m people who want to stay but it just seems "RUSSIAN BOT FARMS!" has become codeword from the left for "Result I really dont like"
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ohhh so the petition is so we can remain in the EU? Thanks notoriety
It would mean this current process to Leave would stop, but doesn't prevent the UK from restarting it from scratch (by reinvoking Art50) immediately or at any stage in the future.

The actual effect is to take a breath and think about the next steps without worrying about crashing out.

It's also likely to result in Theresa May resigning and possibly a General Election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I mean there have been 3 votes using an ip in Afghanistan and 1 using an ip from North Korea
Just as easy for some Chinese 50 cent member to do the same but with a uk VPN and for anyone else wanting to do this.

Not that I deny tha there are more than 1m people who want to stay but it just seems "RUSSIAN BOT FARMS!" has become codeword from the left for "Result I really dont like"
So if folks distrust the petition then a People's Vote is the logical alternative...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (136)
22.82%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
18.12%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.1%

Watched Threads