Arguing with his family

Watch
Student 4545
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My boyfriend and I have had a disagreement over something very trivial - but I'm annoyed with it as his family walk all over him and he does nothing about it.

Basically his Dad has asked us to look after his dog for a week - who barks all day, I've said I won't have the dog as it's the first week we move into our house and I don't want to piss the neighbors off so early on. We also both work long days, so he'll be left alone for 12 hours everyday.
His Dad has now said my boyfriend will have to stay at his house, which is an hour away from us - to look after the dog. What makes it all annoying is that his sister lives up the road from his Dad, is at home all day with her 6 month old and she has a dog of her own - but she said she doesn't want to look after him so we have to!
His family - including his sister - are getting annoyed at me for not wanting to do it, but my boyfriend wants to keep the peace and said he will. I feel i should just go along with it to avoid a disagreement with his family, but it's such a an inconvenience and unfair on him? Completely ruins the excitement of moving into our house together, if he'll be away all week
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student 4545)
My boyfriend and I have had a disagreement over something very trivial - but I'm annoyed with it as his family walk all over him and he does nothing about it.

Basically his Dad has asked us to look after his dog for a week - who barks all day, I've said I won't have the dog as it's the first week we move into our house and I don't want to piss the neighbors off so early on. We also both work long days, so he'll be left alone for 12 hours everyday.
His Dad has now said my boyfriend will have to stay at his house, which is an hour away from us - to look after the dog. What makes it all annoying is that his sister lives up the road from his Dad, is at home all day with her 6 month old and she has a dog of her own - but she said she doesn't want to look after him so we have to!
His family - including his sister - are getting annoyed at me for not wanting to do it, but my boyfriend wants to keep the peace and said he will. I feel i should just go along with it to avoid a disagreement with his family, but it's such a an inconvenience and unfair on him? Completely ruins the excitement of moving into our house together, if he'll be away all week
I understand it is frustrating, but try not to fall out with your boyfriend's family. Your boyfriend is in the middle of this and he loves both you and his family. If things are on bad term between you, it places your boyfriend in an impossible situation. Just move on from the situation - your boyfriend has agreed to look after the dog, so the problem has been sorted. You say that his family are taking advantage of him, but that is for your boyfriend to decide and take action, not for you to make decisions on his behalf. If the relationship between you and your boyfriend's family gets worse, your boyfriend may grow to resent you for it. I would still focus on your excitement of your first house - whilst he is away, it is only a week - you still have time to make great memories moving in!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads