PGDE - Police Check from Spain

Watch this thread
CeeCee1991
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me. I’ve been accepted by two unis to for the PGDE course this year and if all goes well I’m hoping to accept a place.

I understand that a police check is required if you’ve lived abroad for more than 6 months in the last 10 years. I did my year abroad 9 years ago in Spain and I don’t have a clue how to go about obtaining a check. I already have my PVG certificate due to past jobs/current voluntary work and I’m assuming the certificate from Spain would be similar. I’ve searched online and keep finding different information.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? It might be similar to obtaining a check from other European countries.

Thank you!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CeeCee1991)
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me. I’ve been accepted by two unis to for the PGDE course this year and if all goes well I’m hoping to accept a place.

I understand that a police check is required if you’ve lived abroad for more than 6 months in the last 10 years. I did my year abroad 9 years ago in Spain and I don’t have a clue how to go about obtaining a check. I already have my PVG certificate due to past jobs/current voluntary work and I’m assuming the certificate from Spain would be similar. I’ve searched online and keep finding different information.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? It might be similar to obtaining a check from other European countries.

Thank you!
Do you mean a DBS check?
https://www.gov.uk/dbs-check-applicant-criminal-record

This is required for any teaching course, regardless of whether you've lived abroad or not so I'm not sure if there's something else you're referring to.
CeeCee1991
Rep:
Thank you for replying! I think it’s basically a DBS check from abroad rather than the UK.
(Original post by 04MR17)
Do you mean a DBS check?

This is required for any teaching course, regardless of whether you've lived abroad or not so I'm not sure if there's something else you're referring to.
CeeJay23
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oh hey, OP we have similar names!

have you contacted the uni or uni's you have offers with to ask? Usually they send you information about this before you start the PGDE, including how to obtain checks from outside of the UK.
CeeCee1991
Rep:
Hey! Thank you for replying! So we do haha! They mentioned the need to obtain police checks from abroad at both interviews I attended and simply said it differs for each country and we’d need to find out ourselves I want to get it done as soon as possible in case it takes a while. It’ll also cost money (no idea how much) which is worrying me
(Original post by CeeJay23)
Oh hey, OP we have similar names!

have you contacted the uni or uni's you have offers with to ask? Usually they send you information about this before you start the PGDE, including how to obtain checks from outside of the UK.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Hi All,

Thank you!
Presumably your Spanish is good enough?
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...nes-personales

This is for the Spanish Ministry of Justice
You need to id the application from outside Spain.
You also need to confirm whether it has to be certified or apostilled.
You might need the one for criminal offences as well as the one for sexual offences.
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...ficado-delitos
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...o-antecedentes

I am not confident in the information contained here.

https://wikiprocedure.com/index.php/...d_Certificate)

Bit late for me now , but that should get you stated.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Do you mean a DBS check?

DBS check will only show criminal record for being in the UK. They will want a complete picture so they need to know the OP didnt acquire a spanish criminal record in the year abroad.
CeeCee1991
Rep:
Thank you very much. I’ve got a rough idea of what to do now but very worried I’ve missed something.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Presumably your Spanish is good enough?
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...nes-personales

This is for the Spanish Ministry of Justice
You need to id the application from outside Spain.
You also need to confirm whether it has to be certified or apostilled.
You might need the one for criminal offences as well as the one for sexual offences.
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...ficado-delitos

I am not confident in the information contained here.

https://wikiprocedure.com/index.php/...d_Certificate)

Bit late for me now , but that should get you stated.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Thank you very much. I’ve got a rough idea of what to do now but very worried I’ve missed something.
Talk to then and confirm. I think if you have one of each and its original. Ask if you need it sealed or officially stamped, then that is sufficient. You can then inform your uni and show them what you are doing, what you expect to get and confirm that is enough.

I think so. they are bound to have seen Spanish searches before.
They are definitely the correct people to speak to.
eilidh2052
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, congratulations on your offers. I was hoping to ask some advice...
Is the PGDE courses you've applied to for secondary Spanish? I have interviews with Strathclyde and UWS coming up and I'm prepping for the interview questions. I feel ok about the presentation and written task but not sure how much of the 1-2-1 interview will be in Spanish and what sort of things they will ask. Would you mind telling me about your experience?
CeeCee1991
Rep:
Hey!
Thank you so much! I applied to PGDE English so I’m unsure about the Spanish interview unfortunately. I think there may be an option for me to train to teach Spanish along with English but I don’t know how confident I’d feel about it haha!

As far as I’m aware, it’s just a short conversation to make sure your level is high enough to teach others. I mean, secondary school Spanish is pretty basic compared to anything we would have learned at uni, so I think you’ll be fine! Sorry I can’t be of more help! I really don’t think you’ll need to worry though

Best of luck for your interviews. I’m sure you’ll do great!
(Original post by eilidh2052)
Hi there, congratulations on your offers. I was hoping to ask some advice...
Is the PGDE courses you've applied to for secondary Spanish? I have interviews with Strathclyde and UWS coming up and I'm prepping for the interview questions. I feel ok about the presentation and written task but not sure how much of the 1-2-1 interview will be in Spanish and what sort of things they will ask. Would you mind telling me about your experience?
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi All,

Thank you!
Guessing you may have sorted this by now.... I lived in Spain the year before my PGCE and so got a Certificado de Antecedentes Penales, although in the end none of my unis actually cared about seeing it.

I got mine apostilled as it was free to do so, and I'm pretty sure the Spanish site said it needed to be to be recognised abroad. I applied in person while I was there and the document was emailed. Cost was about 4 euros so wayyyy cheaper than any UK police check!

I believe the Spanish system has changed this year. In the past, you needed the Certificado de Antecedentes Penales as a teacher, but I believe now you need the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual if you wish to work with minors. You'll need to check with the university if they want one or the other or both! The Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual is free.

I couldn't apply online as a non-Spanish national even though they say this is possible. So unless that's changed you'll need to apply by post. I'm struggling to find any information about getting the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual by post, but it's definitely possible for the other certificate... just rather more complex than doing it in person unfortunately.
CeeCee1991
Rep:
Thank you so much for replying. I have an idea of what I’m supposed to do but still a little confused. I contacted the Spanish consulate here and I need to either visit them in person with my passport or post it (don’t feel comfortable posting it at all!!!), send a bank transfer to the Spanish authorities and post a form called 790 to Spain. I feel like it’s so complicated and I’m worried I make a mistake it sounds like it’s way easier to get while actually in Spain. Wish I’d known to get one before I left all those years ago haha!

I think the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual is only needed if you want to teach minors in Spain (from what I’ve read) so I think for my PGDE course here in the UK I only need the Certificado de antecedentes penales

Try Spainwise.net if you need to get that one as they’re quite informative.

I’ll also need to get mine apostilled and I have no idea how to do this the email I got from the consulate said they’d be able to get me an approved list though. I’m just really worried it all ends up costing a lot of money
(Original post by sophia5892)
Guessing you may have sorted this by now.... I lived in Spain the year before my PGCE and so got a Certificado de Antecedentes Penales, although in the end none of my unis actually cared about seeing it.

I got mine apostilled as it was free to do so, and I'm pretty sure the Spanish site said it needed to be to be recognised abroad. I applied in person while I was there and the document was emailed. Cost was about 4 euros so wayyyy cheaper than any UK police check!

I believe the Spanish system has changed this year. In the past, you needed the Certificado de Antecedentes Penales as a teacher, but I believe now you need the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual if you wish to work with minors. You'll need to check with the university if they want one or the other or both! The Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual is free.

I couldn't apply online as a non-Spanish national even though they say this is possible. So unless that's changed you'll need to apply by post. I'm struggling to find any information about getting the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual by post, but it's definitely possible for the other certificate... just rather more complex than doing it in person unfortunately.
sophia5892
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I definitely applied for mine to be apostilled at the same time as I applied for the certificate in Spain.... I'll have another look at the website see if I can find where I got the info from. I got mine in 2017 though so things may have changed!

I know the reason I got mine before I left was cos the process was needlessly complicated to do from abroad. So it was a pre-emptive application just in case my PGCE provider wanted it! And I took a native speaker with me in Spain which helped! And we still got shifted around 3 different offices before getting to the right desk

Thank you so much for replying. I have an idea of what I’m supposed to do but still a little confused. I contacted the Spanish consulate here and I need to either visit them in person with my passport or post it (don’t feel comfortable posting it at all!!!), send a bank transfer to the Spanish authorities and post a form called 790 to Spain. I feel like it’s so complicated and I’m worried I make a mistake it sounds like it’s way easier to get while actually in Spain. Wish I’d known to get one before I left all those years ago haha!

I think the Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual is only needed if you want to teach minors in Spain (from what I’ve read) so I think for my PGDE course here in the UK I only need the Certificado de antecedentes penales

Try Spainwise.net if you need to get that one as they’re quite informative.

I’ll also need to get mine apostilled and I have no idea how to do this the email I got from the consulate said they’d be able to get me an approved list though. I’m just really worried it all ends up costing a lot of money
sophia5892
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Okay to get mine apostilled I filled in this form and submitted it with my application:
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...trucciones.PDF

It didn't cost any extra. So I'd suggest posting that form with your application (form 790) and fingers crossed they'll apostille it for you like they did with mine. I know the apostilling part was surprisingly painless! There's a place on the 790 as well to indicate that you need to the certificate to be valid abroad.

Form 790 can be downloaded here (about half way down, blue link "Modelo 790"):

It looks more complicated than it is because the paper version is in triplicate. If you need any help with the form/website let me know - it's always a nightmare navigating things in a foreign language!
eilidh2052
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey!
Thank you so much! I applied to PGDE English so I’m unsure about the Spanish interview unfortunately. I think there may be an option for me to train to teach Spanish along with English but I don’t know how confident I’d feel about it haha!

As far as I’m aware, it’s just a short conversation to make sure your level is high enough to teach others. I mean, secondary school Spanish is pretty basic compared to anything we would have learned at uni, so I think you’ll be fine! Sorry I can’t be of more help! I really don’t think you’ll need to worry though

Best of luck for your interviews. I’m sure you’ll do great!
Thanks so much for this 👍
eejaayy
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey CeeCee1991, have you had any luck with this process? I have an appointment at the Spanish Consulate at the end of the month so I'd love to know if you've got any tips that could help!!I'll take my passport and the 790 form and send the bank transfer... does the bank transfer need to be printed and stamped by your bank? How do you prove you've paid? It's all so confusing!!Thanks in advance x
wiwa22
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sophia5892)
Okay to get mine apostilled I filled in this form and submitted it with my application:
https://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Sate...trucciones.PDF

It didn't cost any extra. So I'd suggest posting that form with your application (form 790) and fingers crossed they'll apostille it for you like they did with mine. I know the apostilling part was surprisingly painless! There's a place on the 790 as well to indicate that you need to the certificate to be valid abroad.

Form 790 can be downloaded here (about half way down, blue link "Modelo 790"):

It looks more complicated than it is because the paper version is in triplicate. If you need any help with the form/website let me know - it's always a nightmare navigating things in a foreign language!
Hey, I don't suppose you have an updated link for getting it apostilled? The one you have here redirects you to an error page. I'm really struggling with trying to sort this form
wiwa22
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi All,

Thank you!
Hey, did you get this sorted in the end? I am struggling to be able to do my form too for in Spain and uni are being pretty useless with helping me out
Turneee
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wiwa22)
Hey, did you get this sorted in the end? I am struggling to be able to do my form too for in Spain and uni are being pretty useless with helping me out
Did you ever get this sorted? Just came across this thread and I'm really struggling to sort this all out. The links that were posted in this thread don't work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed