The Student Room Group

Best Language to learn

Hi everyone,

In your opinion, what is the best language to learn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ericchau
Hi everyone,

Arabic is really nice but very hard to learn I believe, it's more that the grammar is very tough.
Portuguese, it’s the 4th most spoken language in the world!
Reply 3
Original post by Pepsey
Arabic is really nice but very hard to learn I believe, it's more that the grammar is very tough.

Thanks for your opinion. I also think Arabic is interesting but it's one of the hardest languages to learn for English speakers. It has a really nice script 😄
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by arpereira
Portuguese, it’s the 4th most spoken language in the world!

Thanks for your opinion. I also like Portuguese 😄
Reply 5
Korean, although looks difficult is actually a very easy language. I studied french for 8 years and it was very boring however I studied Korean for about a year and I know a hell of a lot more Korean than I do french.
Reply 6
Original post by AidenHa
Korean, although looks difficult is actually a very easy language. I studied french for 8 years and it was very boring however I studied Korean for about a year and I know a hell of a lot more Korean than I do french.

Thanks for your opinion. I totally agree with you. The Korean alphabet is really easy to learn and write, and perhaps to some people, its grammar can be easier to swallow than French grammar 😄
Thanks for your opinion. I also think Arabic is interesting but it's one of the hardest languages to learn for English speakers. It has a really nice script 😄

Yeah iy certainly does! Good luck if you do decide to learn it!
Reply 8
Original post by Pepsey
Yeah iy certainly does! Good luck if you do decide to learn it!

Reply 9
Sumerian.
Persian. The most beautiful language in the world.
Which languages do you know? I don’t think there is a ‘best’ because it depends if you have a goal in mind or if you’re learning for pleasure. French and Spanish are widely spoken and they are two of the easiest languages if English is your native tongue.
Hi everyone,

I studied French, Spanish and Japanese at university.

There isn't really a best language - it's subjective and depends on the individual. For me, out of the 3 I mentioned, Japanese was the best as I enjoyed it the most and I loved my years studying and working in Tokyo.

That said, I'm planning to pursue Chinese Mandarin and Korean shortly. The prior because of its growing prominence in the world and latter because of my like for Korean cuisine, League of Legends and contemporary Korean affairs.
If you wish to learn with an objective, go for one of the UN languages or a language where you might wish to pursue a career.

However, I would recommend learning simply for the pleasure of learning so go for the one you are most interested in.
Reply 14
Original post by gjd800
Sumerian.

Thanks for your opinion :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Palmyra
Persian. The most beautiful language in the world.

Thanks for your opinion :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by YaliaV
Which languages do you know? I don’t think there is a ‘best’ because it depends if you have a goal in mind or if you’re learning for pleasure. French and Spanish are widely spoken and they are two of the easiest languages if English is your native tongue.

Thanks for your opinion. I agree with you. French and Spanish are really easy to learn for me :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Quick-use
I studied French, Spanish and Japanese at university.

There isn't really a best language - it's subjective and depends on the individual. For me, out of the 3 I mentioned, Japanese was the best as I enjoyed it the most and I loved my years studying and working in Tokyo.

That said, I'm planning to pursue Chinese Mandarin and Korean shortly. The prior because of its growing prominence in the world and latter because of my like for Korean cuisine, League of Legends and contemporary Korean affairs.

Thanks for your opinion. You're so lucky to be able to study those 3 languages at university. I also love Japanese a lot :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by batter mix
If you wish to learn with an objective, go for one of the UN languages or a language where you might wish to pursue a career.

However, I would recommend learning simply for the pleasure of learning so go for the one you are most interested in.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
I would say that for a British person, being able to speak French is a really great skill to have (am I biased because I study it at A Level? Possibly); unlike how Spanish would be a no brainer for a USA citizen.

German (in particular), Arabic, Portuguese and Mandarin are also very important for different reasons.

Personally, I want to learn a few from: Norwegian, Korean, Japanese, German and Mandarin (I never really liked French, or France, it was just the only language I have ever been taught at school).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending