superstressedhjk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all, I got an TC offer from a silver circle firm and accepted. But then I got another offer from a MC firm, which I prefer. Should I renege the SC offer and accept the MC one. Would the MC pull back the offer if they find out I rescind the SC offer? Thanks!
LpoolLawStudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by superstressedhjk)
Hi all, I got an TC offer from a silver circle firm and accepted. But then I got another offer from a MC firm, which I prefer. Should I renege the SC offer and accept the MC one. Would the MC pull back the offer if they find out I rescind the SC offer? Thanks!
It's bad form, but I'm sure it happens a lot. How long ago did you accept the offer?
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
it was about three months ago ... I admit it is a bad form but the MC only gave me the offer one week ago (I applied last October, which is six months ago...)
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
It's bad form, but I'm sure it happens a lot. How long ago did you accept the offer?
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
it was about three months ago ... I admit it is a bad form but the MC only gave me the offer one week ago (I applied last October, which is six months ago...)
Honestly, if I were you, I would go for it. The SC firm will not have much difficulty at this point in finding another trainee. Just be honest about the situation and thank the firm for their offer but your circumstances have changed.
The MC firm will not rescind an offer because you had already accepted an offer.
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
what kind of excuses would you use in this kind of situation? I do not want to tell them the name of the MC firm because I am worried that they may directly make a phone call to the MC firm...
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
what kind of excuses would you use in this kind of situation? I do not want to tell them the name of the MC firm because I am worried that they may directly make a phone call to the MC firm...
Why would they do that? You can't possibly think this doesn't happen sometimes. Just tell them that your circumstances have changed. If they push for details, then be honest and say that you've received a belated offer from a preferred firm. They may not be thrilled, but they will understand.
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice. I have received some books form the SC firm which would be 2000 pounds or something. I need to pay back the money if I renege.
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
yes that's right. the contract basically says I need to pay back all the amount if backing out. The money issue is not that serious I can keep the books. What worries me is the reputation damage. The reason I want to renege is that the SC firm wants to lock me for 3 years after qualification. That amounts to 7 years in total (including studying in GDL). I feel very uncomfortable for such a long time...
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
yes. it's 2000 in total for the books they bought for me (not sure if I can return the books to the store but I do not want to ask the HR to do that since reneging is already very bad). 3 years post TC is what really annoys me. The reputation damage would be more serious compared to 2000 I think. In both firms I have some alumni who I have built good relationships at uni and I consulted them a lot for getting the TC. And the trainees from both firms know each other a lot. after all, law is a small world and words get out. I just need to make my reasons for reneging more compelling and solid...
LpoolLawStudent
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
yes. it's 2000 in total for the books they bought for me (not sure if I can return the books to the store but I do not want to ask the HR to do that since reneging is already very bad). 3 years post TC is what really annoys me. The reputation damage would be more serious compared to 2000 I think. In both firms I have some alumni who I have built good relationships at uni and I consulted them a lot for getting the TC. And the trainees from both firms know each other a lot. after all, law is a small world and words get out. I just need to make my reasons for reneging more compelling and solid...
The days where every lawyer is fiercely loyal to one firm for their entire life are gone now though. Partners move from one firm to another, solicitors train at one firm and then move to others post qualification. Changing your mind is not this huge deal you think it is. But the longer you **** around making a decision, the worse it will be.
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice. I think I will call the HR tomorrow.
flatlined
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
On the back of what's been discussed (it's not actually bad form, it's actually a no brainer to go for the MC), the relevant clause described above is an unenforceable restraint of trade. Some firms have it in their contract to stay up to 1PQE - that too is an unenforceable restraint of trade.

To be clear for your benefit and others who have this in a contract, the firm cannot enforce it. It is really disgraceful that a silver circle firm would even think of putting in a contract - nevermind up to 3PQE. Usually it's two-bit pseudo high street shops. If they are putting in, maybe they have a retention problem which is another reason to stay clear.
Last edited by flatlined; 6 months ago
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by J-SP)
How many times can I say this?! There is no reputation damage outside of the firm you are reneging on.
Quoted for truth. I completely agree. Believe me Op, absolutely nobody is going to care that you reneged on a TC offer as a trainee. Not the firm involved, not the alumni, not the trainee intake - nobody will be remotely bothered. If anyone ever asked (unlikely), responding that you preferred the offer from the MC firm is a perfectly reasonable response.

The SC firm can easily hire someone else to replace you out of the many hundreds of applicants they get each year.

Just do it and don't think twice. Worst case scenario you have to pay back the £2k and flog the books on ebay.

Call HR on Monday if you haven't done it already. You can send HR an email instead if you really don't want to speak to them.
superstressedhjk
Rep:
?
I called the HR just now and sent an email as requested. I am not sure whether the partner would call or not. hopefully, I will be fine...
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Quoted for truth. I completely agree. Believe me Op, absolutely nobody is going to care that you reneged on a TC offer as a trainee. Not the firm involved, not the alumni, not the trainee intake - nobody will be remotely bothered. If anyone ever asked (unlikely), responding that you preferred the offer from the MC firm is a perfectly reasonable response.

The SC firm can easily hire someone else to replace you out of the many hundreds of applicants they get each year.

Just do it and don't think twice. Worst case scenario you have to pay back the £2k and flog the books on ebay.

Call HR on Monday if you haven't done it already. You can send HR an email instead if you really don't want to speak to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.36%
No (210)
76.64%

Watched Threads