The Student Room Group

This journalist was investigated by police for 'misgendering' someone...

https://spectator.us/misgendering-child-british-journalist/

Is this a joke?

Is this really what's starting to happen now?

Unbelievable.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bloomer36

Is this a joke?

Unbelievable.

This appears to put it into perspective.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47638527

If a complaint is made to the police then they have a duty to investigate.

I now see the investigation had already been dropped before the OP posted.
(edited 4 years ago)

Is this a joke?

Unbelievable.

Original post by 999tigger

This puts it in better perspective.

"I don't even remember said tweets. I probably said 'he' or 'son' or something." :beard:

https://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/mermaids-response-to-media-reporting-on-ceos-report-of-hate-crime.html
Reply 3
Yeah that journalist is obviously rather downplaying what she originally wrote. And "forgetting" it is certainly not an excuse, nor is deleting the tweets after they got sent.

As for the contents though, doesn't seem to be anything particularly special going on here. Just the usual bigotry and ignorant BS from an uninformed nobody. Unpleasant, perhaps borderline libellous, but probably not illegal.

Of course, if a complaint has been made to the police then they have to investigate, and from that investigation decide if the law has been broken or not. That's their job.
Original post by Decahedron
This puts it in better perspective.

"I don't even remember said tweets. I probably said 'he' or 'son' or something." :beard:

https://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/mermaids-response-to-media-reporting-on-ceos-report-of-hate-crime.html

Am a live and let live sort of person. I can imagine such people have difficulty with being accepted, so I wouldnt want to make their life any more difficult. Whatever the merits or no merits of the case I dislike the ones who want to sensationalise it for having a go at the police, when they are simply investigating something reported to see if an offence has take place.

Same OP who couldnt see why you should be allowed to study about Africa and the contribution of black people at degree level. You are allowed to study his subject though.
Can’t really make a judgment without actually seeing the tweets. On the face of it, it does seem a bit absurd however.
Am a live and let live sort of person. I can imagine such people have difficulty with being accepted, so I wouldnt want to make their life any more difficult. Whatever the merits or no merits of the case I dislike the ones who want to sensationalise it for having a go at the police, when they are simply investigating something reported to see if an offence has take place.

Same OP who couldnt see why you should be allowed to study about Africa and the contribution of black people at degree level. You are allowed to study his subject though.

There are plenty of better reasons to have a go at the police, like them not doing their jobs.
Really? It's just wasting valuable time for the police on this crap. "Oh hello Steve what do you do as a police officer? Investigate murders or anything exciting like that?" "Nope I'm currently looking at a journalist who misgendered someone"
So, just to establish, they're not being investigated for misgendering. They're being investigated for defamation having made allegations of child abuse over a child that happens to be trans. Just as others who claim to have been investigated for misgendering actually got investigated due to allegations of harassment made against them.
Reply 9

That's not the point though, is it. The point is why is this even something worth an investigation. Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply 10
Original post by Dez
Of course, if a complaint has been made to the police then they have to investigate, and from that investigation decide if the law has been broken or not. That's their job.

Really? So if someone called the police and said someone stole their burger they should go and investigate?

Not everything is worth a police investigation.
That's not the point though, is it. The point is why is this even something worth an investigation. Absolutely ridiculous.

Because someone reported it and they believe a crime had been committed.
The police are under a duty to investigate, that is what the police do.
Why are you unable to comprehend that?
Reply 12

Um, sorry, what? "the same OP who couldn't see why you should be allowed to study about Africa and the contribution of black people at degree level" ? When did I ever indicate that I think you shouldn't be allowed to study about Africa? Think you need to work on your comprehension skills.
Reply 13
Because someone reported it and they believe a crime had been committed.
The police are under a duty to investigate, that is what the police do.
Why are you unable to comprehend that?

Why are you unable to comprehend that this situation is not even close to possibly being a crime? Madness
the police should investigate why Commissioner ****'s name is always asterisked.

:angry:
Um, sorry, what? "the same OP who couldn't see why you should be allowed to study about Africa and the contribution of black people at degree level" ? When did I ever indicate that I think you shouldn't be allowed to study about Africa? Think you need to work on your comprehension skills.

When you were also banging on about it being ridiculous , waste of money and the people should stick to learning from the internet.
Reply 16
When you were also banging on about it being ridiculous , waste of money and the people should stick to learning from the internet.

Again, work on your comprehension skills. It being ridiculous and a waste of money as a degree doesn't mean I think it shouldn't be allowed to be studied. Study whatever you like, I can still think/say it's stupid, though. It's called an opinion.
Again, work on your comprehension skills. It being ridiculous and a waste of money as a degree doesn't mean I think it shouldn't be allowed to be studied. Study whatever you like, I can still think/say it's stupid, though. It's called an opinion.

The fact you didnt even bother to find out what it was about.
That you couldnt comprehend the contribution and relevance of studying the contribution of black people or Africa.
The fact you didnt see how a degree might benefit a person.
That you had a bee in your bonnet about it being called black studies.
Original post by the bear
the police should investigate why Commissioner ****'s name is always asterisked.

:angry:

It can only be that TSR sees her as a four star copper.
Why the hell should you be investigated for mis-gendering. Sure it's a ******** move and all, but the police? Really?

Quick Reply

Latest