SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
https://spectator.us/misgendering-ch...sh-journalist/

Is this a joke?

Is this really what's starting to happen now?

Unbelievable.
No, it's not what happened.

Caroline Farrow, a journalist, accused Susie Green, who runs a charity for transgendered people, of child abuse and castrating, mutilating and giving illegal medication to their daughter.

As such, Green reported Farrow to the police. She didn't just report her for misgendering her daughter, which had also happened.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the allegations that she made are true then I fully support her, the actions of this other person should be considered serious crimes and have her locked up.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Can’t really make a judgment without actually seeing the tweets. On the face of it, it does seem a bit absurd however.
https://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/mermai...ate-crime.html

They're on here. The tweets aren't nice, but I'm not entirely sure how they're criminal. Even if you consider them libellous that's a civil matter not a criminal, so not an issue for the police.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
So, just to establish, they're not being investigated for misgendering. They're being investigated for defamation having made allegations of child abuse over a child that happens to be trans. Just as others who claim to have been investigated for misgendering actually got investigated due to allegations of harassment made against them.
It's not the police's job to investigate a defamation case. Criminal defamation does not exist in this country. Ms Green is free to sue, but since defamation is not a crime there is literally no reason for the police to be investigating it.
Last edited by limetang; 4 weeks ago
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)

Caroline Farrow, a journalist, accused Susie Green, who runs a charity for transgendered people, of child abuse and castrating, mutilating and giving illegal medication to their daughter.

As such, Green reported Farrow to the police. She didn't just report her for misgendering her daughter, which had also happened.
See above
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by limetang)
See above
In that case she's either wrongly referred this to the police or the police feel that the journalist might have broken some other law, hence call her in for questioning.
angelinahx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://spectator.us/misgendering-ch...sh-journalist/

Is this a joke?

Is this really what's starting to happen now?

Unbelievable.
Isn’t that the same ***** who was on Question Time spewing hate against gay people a couple of years ago?
lmfao
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Can’t really make a judgment without actually seeing the tweets. On the face of it, it does seem a bit absurd however.
I don't like this Act as it does open up all kinds of potential for a police state and it should be repealed. That said, the journalist did accuse her of child abuse, which is not exactly a pleasant thing to say about anybody. I think there should be a clean, simple process of seeking small sums in redress against people who make such statements. The problem in this country is that libel law is hideously tilted towards the interests of the very rich, so there being no legal recourse for the ordinary person, Parliament passed legislation that is quite ridiculous often in execution.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
Isn’t that the same ***** who was on Question Time spewing hate against gay people a couple of years ago?
lmfao
Yes.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by limetang)
It's not the police's job to investigate a defamation case. Criminal defamation does not exist in this country. Ms Green is free to sue, but since defamation is not a crime there is literally no reason for the police to be investigating it.
Maybe she's wrongly referred it, maybe she's considered it harassment rather than defamation (I've no idea what the history between this journalist and the charity CEO is, one off accusation of child abuse would seem to be defamation to me). Either way, the story in the OP and the headline are false, they aren't being investigated for misgendering, that's incidental to the actual referral.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Love a clickbaity title.
hunfilm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well that's a bit of strange reason to spend police time investigating on. But ah well, it's their jobs after all...
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago

Wonder why the OP didn't mention this. It sounds like Farrow is being pretty unreasonable.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Really? So if someone called the police and said someone stole their burger they should go and investigate?

Not everything is worth a police investigation.
Well feel free to write a letter to your local police and crime commissioner letting them know how exactly you think the police should do their jobs. I'm sure they'll get right on that.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok.
Tenya Iida
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

op makes the thread so it looks like 'the evil twanses are at it again being twiggered!!!!' why arent i surprised
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by todorokishouto)
op makes the thread so it looks like 'the evil twanses are at it again being twiggered!!!!' why arent i surprised
To be fair to the OP no media outlet that I have seen has accurately reported on the story.
z-hog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll never use one of these 'pronouns', there is no need for them and to attempt to patrol people's minds is just another example of how demented this can all get. We may refer to people by their preferred gender denomination if we feel like it but no totalitarian mob will ever invade and seize our heads the way they wish.

Having just re-signed, there was a gender question at the door: male, female or other. TSR refer to such things as 'gender', not 'sex'. Whatever.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
I'll never use one of these 'pronouns', there is no need for them and to attempt to patrol people's minds is just another example of how demented this can all get. We may refer to people by their preferred gender denomination if we feel like it but no totalitarian mob will ever invade and seize our heads the way they wish.

Having just re-signed, there was a gender question at the door: male, female or other. TSR refer to such things as 'gender', not 'sex'. Whatever.
It was nothing to do with misgendering. Just bad journalism.

https://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk/mermai...ate-crime.html
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stories like this make me thankful the police are underfunded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads