Home Office quotes Bible verses to prove Christianity is not a religion of peace Watch

Leviathan1611
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-peace.html

any Christian who's read their whole Bible should be able to see the humour in this. (in my opinion of course)😂😂😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you could quite easily show some statistics that show that Christianity is far more of a "religion of peace" than certain other ones.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.
Even as a Catholic, I second this.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
that is an unbelievably ridiculous letter. even on TSR it would be hard to find equivalent nonsensitude.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
I was laughing at the verses the home office used to back up their claim.

well I acknowledge your opinion on God and what you think he is like, thanks for letting me know🙂 I however think He's great, and personally, the book of revelation is my second favourite book of the Bible, the first being the book of judges.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I however think He's great
Well, obviously, if you have a penchant for worshipping vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despots then your god is as good as any. As for the books, my own favourite, as it gives light relief, is human, does not try to lay down any arbitrary rules and written by an entertainer is Song of Solomon.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Well, obviously, if you have a penchant for worshipping vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despots then your god is as good as any. As for the books, my own favourite, as it gives light relief, is human, does not try to lay down any arbitrary rules and written by an entertainer is Song of Solomon.
okay🙂
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Say what you like about Samson, but he gave the Philistines a bloody good spanking.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A ludicrous letter for any government department assessor to even consider addressing to a non-academic. :mad:
Let alone an asylum claims case worker who is supposed to rigorously adhere to Home Office policies that assess applicants based upon the current facts and their personal circumstances.
An amateur literary critique of the bible based solely upon a dubious grasp of theology conflating fundamentalism with Christianity and research based upon anonymous internet user created content.

Pathetic.
On the plus side, a vulnerable asylum applicant will probably be granted fast tracked UK citizenship.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Home office, really?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
Say what you like about Samson, but he gave the Philistines a bloody good spanking.
But think of the cruelty he perpetrated on that poor ass. Surely he could have afforded a sword, or a club? :smh:
JaJa18796
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One thing you are forgetting, rightfully vengeful, rightfully violent and rightfully brutish
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JaJa18796)
One thing you are forgetting, rightfully vengeful, rightfully violent and rightfully brutish
If you want to live in a world where personal vengeance and brutish violence are right then I can suggest a few places that might fit the bill. Fortunately, we don't go for it much around here, even for gods.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
I think you could quite easily show some statistics that show that Christianity is far more of a "religion of peace" than certain other ones.
Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the Home Office had the courage of their convictions, books like the bible and the quran would be banned for promoting hate speech.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JaJa18796)
Vengeance, violence, and brutishness are fundamentally wrong.
AJ126
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Yes now it is.But it's history is long and bloody.The crusades ring a bell? The inquisition? The troubles? How about all those nice Catholic orphanages in northern Ireland where they murdered babies? Christianity is far from innocent.Its just mellowing in it's old age.Islam will too.
JaJa18796
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
Vengeance, violence, and brutishness are fundamentally wrong.
If you want to live in a world where personal vengeance and brutish violence are right then I can suggest a few places that might fit the bill. Fortunately, we don't go for it much around here, even for gods.
No they are not. Think about it like this, God created this whole universe just for us and we saw that it was good. It was perfect.
But then sin got in and the world was under a curse. And humans continued to sin even though he warned them not to. Now if vengeance and violence and brutishness are not wrong if they are done in righteousness and God is without sin so he does all this in righteousness. But we are not righteous so our vengeance is sinful and not right
Last edited by JaJa18796; 4 weeks ago
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.
Funny thing is at the moment I nor anyone else has to worry about Inquisitions or what was going on in the tudor period, we are talking about here and now, recent memory and looking at that then we are certainly doing better than the other real big religion of 'peace'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed