Home Office quotes Bible verses to prove Christianity is not a religion of peace Watch

JaJa18796
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AJ126)
Yes now it is.But it's history is long and bloody.The crusades ring a bell? The inquisition? The troubles? How about all those nice Catholic orphanages in northern Ireland where they murdered babies? Christianity is far from innocent.Its just mellowing in it's old age.Islam will too.
That’s true but the principles of christianity are to turn the check when hit
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Funny thing is at the moment I nor anyone else has to worry about Inquisitions or what was going on in the tudor period, we are talking about here and now, recent memory and looking at that then we are certainly doing better than the other real big religion of 'peace'
We just have tyo worry about organised child abuse and the role of the church in covering it up, eh?
(Original post by JaJa18796)
No they are not. Think about it like this, God created this whole universe just for us and we saw that it was good. It was perfect.
But then sin got in and the world was under a curse. And humans continued to sin even though he warned them not to. Now if vengeance and violence and brutishness are not wrong if they are done in righteousness and God is without sin so he does all this in righteousness.
That is a circular justification of nastiness. God does it because it is OK if he does it. Twaddle! Circular or not, it is completely unacceptable.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s true but the principles of christianity are to turn the check when hit
That must be why so many popes commissioned armies to go to the Middle East, eh?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The violence in the Bible is no laughing matter. The god that Christians worship is well known to be a vengeful, violent, brutish and arbitrary despot, threatening cruel retribution to sinners and non-believers, and perpetrating genocide on several occasions. The Book of Revelations is particularly nasty in its dire prognostication.
Old testament v New testament though. Hardly anyone takes old testament literally.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Old testament v New testament though. Hardly anyone takes old testament literally.
except me of course.☝️
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We just have tyo worry about organised child abuse and the role of the church in covering it up, eh?

That is a circular justification of nastiness. God does it because it is OK if he does it. Twaddle! Circular or not, it is completely unacceptable.
No one said that Christianity was free of any problems but Statistics and common sense tells me that one is far far far more dangerous than the other
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Regardless of the version upgrade, the god is the same one and the older stuff is evidence of its nature. Obviously, it doesn't really exist, but using the scripture against the religion is perfectly fair. In any event, have you read the New Testament Book of Revelations?

And, while Christians set the commandments on a pedestal, the Old Testament is still important. Funny that you never hear of one refusing to wear clothing of mixed fibres though, isn't it. Perhaps they just can't count beyond ten.
Last edited by Good bloke; 4 weeks ago
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
That must be why so many popes commissioned armies to go to the Middle East, eh?
nah, it's because they follow a 'pope' instead of the Bible. greedy little perverts.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Certainly can try.
Let's start with the statistics from all the papal medieval inquisitions, progress onto ferdinand&isabella's spanish inquisition, then take the statistics from Foxe's Book of Martyrs plus all the relevant statistics from tudor/stuart/cromwell eras and then finally add the statistics involving all the victims of Matthew Hopkins.
For the purpose of comparison with the statistics of raëlism, scientology, jehovah's witnesses and pastafarianism.
You would need to see it in context though. There were indeed violent events and wars about religion, but they were often just about power hiding behind religion. Your other religions never had the popularity or significance.

Need to read the article properly, but looks like Home Office person is thoroughly unsuitable.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
except me of course.☝️
Tbh already disregarded you so you didnt figure.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So you take New Testament literally, but don't take Old Testament literally? Are you picking and choosing what you believe in?
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Tbh already disregarded you so you didnt figure.
ah I see. nevermind ☹️
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
So you take New Testament literally, but don't take Old Testament literally? Are you picking and choosing what you believe in?
i think they are.
JaJa18796
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is it right to send people to prison, yes of course it is, they are the one in the wrong. Just like human kind our punishment for sin is death.

Personally I am not a catholic, a Protestant, but just because the pope did it doesn’t mean it was right and that is what Christianity is, no one, except Jesus, is perfect.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just like human kind our punishment for sin is death.
Not in a civilised country it isn't. You must live in ancient times, the first or seventh, or maybe the sixteenth century maybe?
JaJa18796
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not in a civilised country it isn't. You must live in ancient times, the first or seventh, or maybe the sixteenth century maybe?
Sorry I may have miscommunicated that when the world was created no one would die, so now we sin we eventually die.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry I may have miscommunicated that when the world was created no one would die, so now we sin we eventually die.
Hmm. We mustn't miss out the clincher that makes the fairy tale real, must we?
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, Christianity may not be the most peaceful religion, but it beats me how this had any important relevance t9 their application.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You would need to see it in context though. There were indeed violent events and wars about religion, but they were often just about power hiding behind religion. Your other religions never had the popularity or significance.

Need to read the article properly, but looks like Home Office person is thoroughly unsuitable.
I'm very familiar with the historical, theological and political context.
I was replying to a poster who seems to have got into the habit of typing the phrase "religion of peace" in reference to one abrahamic religion.
So I offered him an opportunity to discuss something different for a change.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
You can read about the differences here.
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...ew-Testament-1

They are different, but modern day Christianity is much more to do with how to live your life. As such this is given much more emphasis.
Old testament was written at a different time and is much more foundational about events.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (454)
38.06%
No - but I will (89)
7.46%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.53%

Watched Threads