Please Help! Unique Application Question/Circumstances... Watch

anoelle23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am a 28 year old ‘mature’ American student from DC. As my situation is difficult to simply google, I’m hoping someone on here will be able to give me a better idea regarding my chances given my qualifications. I apologise in advance if this is a bit lengthy!

Current University: Georgia State University Honours College
Program/Major(s): Philosophy and Psychology
Year: Junior
[Grades]: 3.98 GPA, 4.0 GPA in all major courses
Honours: President’s List (I’m not sure if that matters in the UK)

Goal University/Program(s): UCL and KCL一 Philosophy MA/PhD at UCL; Philosophy of Psychology MA at KCL.

Research/Academic Area of Interest: Philosophy of Mind, Phenomenology, Ethnology, and Social Anthropology, and their practical applications within design and social policy.

Academic/Personal Background: Okay, so this is the part that gets a little less clear-cut. When I initially graduated high school, I applied/got accepted into an advanced commercial photography program at a private marketing-based portfolio building school. Due in part to this, for the past ~10 years I have travelled extensively in North America and Europe and worked in creative roles spanning photography, marketing, design research and strategy, productivity consulting, and startup consulting (these are less divergent when framed within my research interests).

*An aside, however: at the time of my acceptance into the photography program, I was taking classes at a local college. As it was past the withdraw date, I received WF grades for those courses. I have since replaced all of the grades, so they don’t affect my GPA, but the poor ‘starting’ semester nevertheless shows on my transcript.

Ultimately, I’m trying to determine whether my academic background/my being at a state-school takes me out of the running for UCL/KCL, as well as whether my experience at all contributes to my extracurriculars, or if I should be doing anything in particular to increase my chances. Any input would be immensely appreciated x
Last edited by anoelle23; 6 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your best bet is to email UCL and KCL about your situation. Especially for post grad courses, this is common practice in the UK and they will be happy to advise you about how they would view your application. They won't make any guarantees of acceptance, but they will usually let you know if they wouldn't consider you suitable.

Being at a "state" school is unlikely to harm your admissions chances in the UK, though!
anoelle23
Rep:
?
That's a sigh of relief, cheers! The state-school bit has been the most opaque in my inquiry; my university has one of the top Philosophy MA programs in the nation, so I have access to that staff, but I'm not sure if that's considered as much as an undergraduate since admissions aren't as stringent.

In the research I've done, I've predominantly seen that UCL/KCL/Oxford/Cambridge are more interested in showing more or less an obsession with your desired subject rather than extracurriculars一 do you by chance know if that's accurate?

(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Your best bet is to email UCL and KCL about your situation. Especially for post grad courses, this is common practice in the UK and they will be happy to advise you about how they would view your application. They won't make any guarantees of acceptance, but they will usually let you know if they wouldn't consider you suitable.

Being at a "state" school is unlikely to harm your admissions chances in the UK, though!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by anoelle23)
That's a sigh of relief, cheers! The state-school bit has been the most opaque in my inquiry; my university has one of the top Philosophy MA programs in the nation, so I have access to that staff, but I'm not sure if that's considered as much as an undergraduate since admissions aren't as stringent.

In the research I've done, I've predominantly seen that UCL/KCL/Oxford/Cambridge are more interested in showing more or less an obsession with your desired subject rather than extracurriculars一 do you by chance know if that's accurate?
This is generally true for most UK universities- they won't be interested in things that aren't relevant to your chosen course. MA applications may also want to know a bit about your future plans.

At MA level, most universities are keen to attract students and won't mind you asking them some questions about the application via email as well.
anoelle23
Rep:
?
That's good to know. I'll definitely be emailing them; thank you!
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
This is generally true for most UK universities- they won't be interested in things that aren't relevant to your chosen course. MA applications may also want to know a bit about your future plans.

At MA level, most universities are keen to attract students and won't mind you asking them some questions about the application via email as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads