annabel_gilmour
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey! I'm a year 9 (but we started our GCSEs a year early) and I do French and Spanish GCSE. I love languages and recently have decided I'd also like to study Latin, since it interests me and should also help me as I continue to study French and Spanish, as well as with future romance languages I may decide to take up (I wish to be multilingual and speak as many languages as possible). So, since it isn't taught at my school, I have decided I want to self teach Latin. You may say that just because I want to study Latin, that doesn't mean I don't have to do the GCSE, and I definitely agree with that, but the GCSE will motivate me to actually study and not just give up or forget. So, I was wondering -

Which GCSE (9-1) specification for Latin is the easiest/best/most interesting?

Any advice/information you may have will be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by annabel_gilmour; 1 year ago
AntMan200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I haven't done Latin, nor do I have the option of choosing an exam board for any of my subjects, but I think an important thing to consider is that the most common exam board will be the one with the most resources available, making it a more enjoyable experience to learn from. AQA perhaps?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The WJEC/Eduqas seems to have less of a literary element to it, whereas the OCR includes some study of the Aeneid and sometimes (?) poetry in the anthologies. If you wanted to continue with Latin in any way though, the OCR course might be better then as going forward almost any Latin/Classics course at A-level or beyond will involve some literature. I think those are the only two boards offering it though.

The Cambridge Schools Classics Project, which aims to support schools and independent learners in studying Latin, is structured around the OCR syllabus. You can get materials and even tutoring through them (these require you to pay for them I believe, but they may be able to arrange something with your school perhaps...), but it will be for the OCR syllabus. As the above commenter noted, it might be better to pick the one with more resources available, which might be OCR in that case.
annabel_gilmour
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The WJEC/Eduqas seems to have less of a literary element to it, whereas the OCR includes some study of the Aeneid and sometimes (?) poetry in the anthologies. If you wanted to continue with Latin in any way though, the OCR course might be better then as going forward almost any Latin/Classics course at A-level or beyond will involve some literature. I think those are the only two boards offering it though.

The Cambridge Schools Classics Project, which aims to support schools and independent learners in studying Latin, is structured around the OCR syllabus. You can get materials and even tutoring through them (these require you to pay for them I believe, but they may be able to arrange something with your school perhaps...), but it will be for the OCR syllabus. As the above commenter noted, it might be better to pick the one with more resources available, which might be OCR in that case.
Thank you sm!! I’ve googled it a lot and I think you’re right - OCR seems like the better board. But obviously, I would be self teaching, and I can’t seem to find sufficient resources. Particularly for prose literature, verse literature and culture. If you know any way I could find more appropriate resources I would love to know. But thank you for your help!
fm4n
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I took my OCR Latin a year early last year and I would have to say that the resources available are fantastic. You have the Taylor Latin2GCSE books which are great and the ZigZag books for the literature. These 2 will give you most of what you need to self-teach the subject.

Its not easy but I'm sure you know that, best of luck!
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Self-teaching is a difficult undertaking for anyone - not least in staying motivated to actually do it!

If it's possible, I would suggest looking at getting a tutor - either for face-to-face or Skype lessons - particularly if you're wanting to take the subject as an additional GCSE as they will be able to take you through the course at a suitable pace and also be on hand to answer any questions that you might have.
KateR03
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing OCR and I'm doing my GCSEs this year. Depending on which texts you choose, I may be able to send you my notes. You should definitely get a tutor as I'm struggling with teachers because its so hard to get an accurate translation and good annotations along with the exam technique.
applesandroses
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I study GCSE Latin and it's hard - I don't think you could study it by yourself. It would be best to get a tutor as it is significantly more difficult than French or Spanish. Good luck tho xxx
(Original post by annabel_gilmour)
Hey! I'm a year 9 (but we started our GCSEs a year early) and I do French and Spanish GCSE. I love languages and recently have decided I'd also like to study Latin, since it interests me and should also help me as I continue to study French and Spanish, as well as with future romance languages I may decide to take up (I wish to be multilingual and speak as many languages as possible). So, since it isn't taught at my school, I have decided I want to self teach Latin. You may say that just because I want to study Latin, that doesn't mean I don't have to do the GCSE, and I definitely agree with that, but the GCSE will motivate me to actually study and not just give up or forget. So, I was wondering -

kiwisandchoc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by annabel_gilmour)

Hi, at the beginning of this school year( yr 9) I decided to teach myself Latin like you are. I started using the Cambridge Latin course books and they were a great introduction in to Latin. However around 4 months ago I started using the Latin to GCSE books and they are extremely helpful and perfect for self study.
Hoped some of this helped x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.06%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (648)
49.24%

Watched Threads